Edison crane issues

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
ts_13
Victor II

Edison crane issues

Post by ts_13 »

I have this really neat crane for my standard. But this horn seems to be too big. It is quite heavy. Would other cranes be tge way to remedy this? I have placed a wooden support under the brace for support. Anyone else run across this problem? Any better suggestions?
Attachments
1563067428334-2074301784.jpg
15630673946911281217631.jpg

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Edison crane issues

Post by phonogfp »

That crane is a Hawthorne & Sheble No.6. It sold for 50 cents less than the enormously popular No.5, but wasn't as effective in supporting larger horns. However, to be properly set up, the vertical rod of the No.6 was meant to be lowered down to the table, acting as a foot of sorts.

You could use a lighter horn (such a a "Mega" Phono-Horn), or obtain a H&S No.5 (which are easier to find than the No.6). Here's a No.5:
talkingmachinewo03bill_0035.jpg
George P.

Bruce
Victor III

Post by Bruce »

Hello

The photo is a little dark but it appears that you are missing the bottom part of your horn crane. This part will make the entire apparatus much more stable and should hold your horn upright.

There is one for sale on ebay called the Edison PHONOGRAPH FRONT MOUNT CRANE FOOT BASE,
Ebay number 202730580472

Bruce

ts_13
Victor II

Post by ts_13 »

phonogfp wrote:That crane is a Hawthorne & Sheble No.6. It sold for 50 cents less than the enormously popular No.5, but wasn't as effective in supporting larger horns. However, to be properly set up, the vertical rod of the No.6 was meant to be lowered down to the table, acting as a foot of sorts.

You could use a lighter horn (such a a "Mega" Phono-Horn), or obtain a H&S No.5 (which are easier to find than the No.6). Here's a No.5:
George P.

Great information George!!! Thank you.

I have lowered it all the way down to support itself. That definitely does not work with this horn. This is a big horn, I do have a smaller horn that I had on it previously. But dang I do not want to swap my horn! I love this horn. Maybe I just need to go back with an edison crane. I had an original that I traded out for this one just because this one was more unique.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I have a small all brass conical horn that would be suitable for a Standard. Send a PM if interested. Jerry B.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

ts_13 wrote:

Great information George!!! Thank you.

I have lowered it all the way down to support itself. That definitely does not work with this horn. This is a big horn, I do have a smaller horn that I had on it previously. But dang I do not want to swap my horn! I love this horn. Maybe I just need to go back with an edison crane. I had an original that I traded out for this one just because this one was more unique.
You're very welcome.

Some of those big flower horns are quite heavy. The H&S No.6 just wasn't designed for a behemoth. The Edison cranes, while not very adjustable, have that anti-tip foot. But really, the best of them all for adjustability and stability is the H&S No.5. That's probably why they sold so well and can be easily found today.

Good luck!

George P.

ts_13
Victor II

Post by ts_13 »

The HS no 5 is the floor crane correct?

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

ts_13 wrote:The HS no 5 is the floor crane correct?
No, it's illustrated in the Talking Machine World advertisement above. I'll blow it up for you:
talkingmachinewo03bill_0035.jpg (70.4 KiB) Viewed 928 times
Note that it looks very much like the No.6, but has a substantial foot that rests on the table. These cranes can be commonly found.

George P.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

I had a weight problem with my Standard as well; but solved it by switching out cranes with my Home (similar to the #5 shown above).

Bill