Musicmaster Phonograph with Fletcher Tone Arm

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Phono-Phan
Victor V

Musicmaster Phonograph with Fletcher Tone Arm

Post by Phono-Phan »

I found this Musicmaster phonograph recently with a Fletcher tone arm. I have never seen one of these tone arms with what looks like a counterweight you set for Edison,Pathé,Victor/Columbia. The case was way beyond restoration so I stripped out the parts. This is unfortunate as the case was very ornate. The motor board also has an auto stop solenoid. I have never seen a set up like this either. Does anyone know more about this phonograph and/or the Fletcher tone arm?
Thanks, Ken Brekke
Attachments
DSCN1837.JPG
DSCN1837.JPG (80.08 KiB) Viewed 1345 times
DSCN1836.JPG
DSCN1836.JPG (105.6 KiB) Viewed 1345 times
DSCN1835.JPG
DSCN1835.JPG (109.23 KiB) Viewed 1345 times
DSCN1834.JPG
DSCN1834.JPG (131.52 KiB) Viewed 1345 times

phonolamplighter
Victor O
Personal Text: Say it With Music

Re: Musicmaster Phonograph with Fletcher Tone Arm

Post by phonolamplighter »

Hi Ken,

The Fletcher tone arms and reproducers were used by many off-brand manufacturers. We have seen many talking machines with these, Steinburn, Orsenigo, Burnham, and it is very similar to the McLagan reproducer with the 'hex' shape head.

FLETCHER-WICKES CO., Chicago. Established and incorporated 1918, in the State of Illinois. Officers: Elmer Fletcher, president; Roscoe L. Wickes, vice-president and treasurer; E. Norman, secretary. Manufactures "Fletcher" universal tone-ams and reproducers, "Fletcher" straight tone-arms and reproducers, Edison attachments, and Fletcher reproducers for Victor and Columbia machines.
(information copied from the Talking Machine World Trade Directory, April 1923, page 82)
Here is an advertisement showing the types of tone arms they made:
fletcher tonearm ad,tmw,7-23,p69.jpg
As for the Music Master, there was the Music Master Talking Machine Co., Inc., 99 Fulton street, New York. We also have a reference to Music Master, Sturgis, Michigan with no additional information.

That auto-stop device is very interesting. Is that perhaps a Saal motor?

All the Best,
Ed and Nancy

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Thanks for the reply. This is sure one strange tone arm. Especially with the light attachment. The wires for the light come out the base. It was too bad that the case was way beyond saving. Not sure about the motor. I can look tomorrow to see if it is marked SAAL.

Benjamin_L
Victor III
Personal Text: Honk, honk.

Post by Benjamin_L »

Cliff did a video on a Fletcher tonearm awhile back, I think he wouldn't mind me sharing it.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF55gwyxsEo)

Fletcher was a neat phono-parts supplier, I kinda like their tonearm design to get around the tapered patents held by Victor/Columbia.

Orsenigo was probaly one of the more famous companies that used Fletcher as a supplier.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-1H1UtkBDQ)