Need Help With My First Edison Cylinder Machine

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
JohnM
Victor V

Re: Need Help With My First Edison Cylinder Machine

Post by JohnM »

If Dick's 'Standard' is an 'A', it doesn't take a case decal anyway, right? John M
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

Amberola 1-A
Victor II

Post by Amberola 1-A »

JohnM wrote:If Dick's 'Standard' is an 'A', it doesn't take a case decal anyway, right? John M
I know the earliest ones with the latches were devoid of a decal, but the next had the banner decal if I recall.

:clover:
Check with your dealer for the latest Edison Records!

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

We are in the Everglades eating lotus and can't remember anything nor do we have reference books! Thanks Bill! John

Amberola 1-A
Victor II

Post by Amberola 1-A »

JohnM wrote:We are in the Everglades eating lotus and can't remember anything nor do we have reference books! Thanks Bill! John
The Everglades? Be careful John or something will be eating you!!!

:clover:
Check with your dealer for the latest Edison Records!

PhonoJack
Victor Jr

Post by PhonoJack »

Dick,

Old Tom Edison didn't do us any favors with the model number and nomenclature he used with his family of phonographs. Hope this helps.

There are two types of Edison Standard Model A machines. The first version, 1. what is typically called the "square top" (the oak cabinet and cover are square, w/square corners), no tranfer on the front and the second version, 2. 'new style' with chamfered edges, base moulding and a hinged wooden frame onto which the bedplate would be fastened which could be opened for inspection, (for JohnM) with Edison Standard Phonograph transfer.

Based on your further description of the three screws, I now understand and believe you have this 'new style' Standard which does not have those large springs I described that isolate the later Standard motors from their motor plate. Interesting that the old square top motor and plate were easier to work on because they could be simply flipped over and worked on in the box because the motor plate could sit on the ledges on the top of the box cabinet. :shock: This is just a tidbit of information that you'll remember when you soon get your first square top, this is a subliminal hypnotic suggestion). :roll:
So back to your original question, I checked both types of my Standard A machines; one was loose like yours, the other was snug and tight as it should be. I simply tightened the screw from the top to eliminate any play. The circumference of the hole is much larger than the collar of the nut. I wonder if there is some kind of disintegrated rubber in there. I don't remember ever seeing that. I've never seen springs in there either. Neither of mine have springs. I am tempted to put in a small rubber grommet to isolate the motor from the bedplate just for fun to see if it quiets down a bit. Luckily we don't have any amplified feed back to deal with.

GramophoneShane wrote: This is good advise if the spring is already broken, but not if you want to reuse the spring. A good spring can be damaged removing it this way.
I disagree. First, many people wrongly assume you just let go of the spring while it's inside the burlap bag. Do not let go of it. The bag is only meant to protect you from geting hit in the face or eye. I was trying to be nice, what you see on that video is very dangerous and does not apply to most Edison machines. That demo shows a weak, harmless spring. DO NOT OPEN YOUR EDISON SPRINGS THAT WAY.
Next, it's not easy to see whether the spring is broken or even hairline cracked, but if it is, there's a good chance it could bite you. Again, using the burlap bag properly will not damage the spring.

Best regards,

Jack

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Well, I'm sorry Jack, but I disagree. Edison springs are taken out in exactly the same way as the "weak harmless spring" in my video.
If it would make you happy, I could add another one showing me taking an Edison spring out in exactly the same way.
I've been taking all sorts of springs out since I was a 13 yr old kid, and not once have I had a spring get away from me. It's so easy a little girl could even do it.
Perhaps you should be a little more detailed with you bag removal technic before people go & ruin their good springs?

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Do springs coil in the opposite direction south of the equator than they do here in the US?
;) John M

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

LOL. No, that's just an old wives tale, much like the story about how hard spring removal & installation is. I'm sure that's just a vicious rumour started by phono repairmen to drum up business :)
Somewhere online, there is a copy of the Edison diamond disc service manual, and I'm sure it describes the romoval & installation of the DD spring (one of the biggest & strongest springs you're likely to encounter)in exactly the same way as I show in my video.
Last edited by gramophoneshane on Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Found it!
Pages 5, 6 & 7 might be of interest to you Jack.

http://www.lagparty.org/~wyatt/ddmanual.html

Here is a copy of pages 6 & 7.

If it's good enough for Edison, it's good enough for me!
Attachments
broken spring1.jpg
broken spring2.jpg
Last edited by gramophoneshane on Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Ironically, as Shane posted this I had actually just finished grabbing this manual, and started to run it through OCR, so that I can both post the text (much as I have done for other articles) and post a searchable PDF of it that one could download and keep locally.

I think that this would a great thing to have on hand for anyone with an Edison disc phonograph.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.