Newly acquired edison home. Need info

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gwcoty
Victor Jr

Re: Newly acquired edison home. Need info

Post by gwcoty »

Yes my friction disk is indeed warped. I have a small jewelers lathe i will try to true it up. I wonder how so many of these got warped over the years, I cant imagine them being sold this way. Then again, maybe they were. It seems odd to have worn unevenly from use but i suppose its possible.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I've fixed a couple of warped discs simply by carefully clamping them in a vise several times, working my way around the entire circumference. No guarantees, but it worked for me in about 5-10 minutes.

George P.

gwcoty
Victor Jr

Post by gwcoty »

I went out and machined it until the wobble came out. It plays absolutely perfect now, Thank you for that suggestion, that disk would've been one of the last things I checked. Waiting on the decals, and this baby's done!

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Glad you located the trouble! So often it's in the governor... ;)

George P.

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Post by edisonphonoworks »

It is kind of odd; the cause of the friction disc problem. They sit for years with the on and off lever in the same spot, or turning them off with too much pressure warps the disc.

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

gwcoty wrote:Yes my friction disk is indeed warped.
gwcoty wrote:I went out and machined it until the wobble came out. It plays absolutely perfect now, Thank you for that suggestion, that disk would've been one of the last things I checked.
Good to hear that you removed the flutter! As Shawn mentioned above, it's not surprising that some friction discs can get slightly warped from all the stop and start use over the years as well as other types of usage they sustain especially since many are brass or aluminum. And, honestly, it would not surprise me at all to realize that some friction discs were not perfectly 'true' even when new considering how many of these were made.

I hope that others who own cylinder phonographs that play with the annoying flutter will find some help in all of the suggestions that have been provided in this post!

Personally, I will be forever indebted to Bob Barnett here on the Forum (barnettrp21122) for helping me with my Edison Operas years ago when I had an annoying flutter on each of them. I was pretty confident that the flutter problem in this instance was with the flywheel wire that was inserted through both the flywheel and the mandrel shaft but I could not find the appropriate replacement wire to use. Bob was gracious enough to send me several small sections of spring wire that worked for him and informed me that the best ones he found to remove the Opera flutter were Ernie Ball 18P guitar strings!! Next day I went to my local Guitar Center and bought one of these Ernie Ball guitar strings, cut it to perfect size for the Opera flywheel and VOILA!! No more flutter on either of my Edison Operas!! Anyway, again, I'm pleased to hear that you removed that annoying flutter.

Doug