Victor VV-80, worth restoring?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Victor VV-80, worth restoring?

Post by kirtley2012 »

I've liked the thought of having a Victor machine, they rarely surface in the UK, but one has, and fairly nearby too, nothing extravagant, just a VV-80, not sure if it'd be worth restoring, it's been re-motored, so I'd have to find a replacement original motor and board, the knobs are replacements, possibly some finish work too, they're asking £100, a bit much in it's current state I'd think, are they worthwhile restoration candidates or one to just leave alone? I'm not very clued up with the internal horn Victors

Victor VI

Re: Victor VV-80, worth restoring?

Post by 52089 »

The VV-80 is similar to the VV-X. Good workhorse machines that will last decades, but common and nothing to write home about.

Sounds to me like what you're seeing is basically a VV-80 cabinet in bad shape, plus some unrelated parts. If it were here in the USA, I'd probably walk away, even for cheap.

You could probably find the parts in the USA easily enough, but just shipping a motor and board from here to the UK would probably be in the $100 range.

Also, be aware that the VV-80 went through multiple design changes, so be sure that whatever parts you order are compatible with your machine first.

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

In the US I would say that there is no VV-80 worth restoring. Way too many in fine shape that are orphans. Unless you are doing it for the challenge or practice. Now if it was a VVR-80 that would be different.

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

I wouldn't say a VV-80 isn't worth restoring. It may not make financial sense, but in my experience, restoring these machines helped improve my restoration skills, so when I started to take on more worthwhile machines, I had already developed some skill set and didn't butcher a scarce machine that I actually wanted to hold on to.

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

That is what I said, practice or for the challenge. But there are too many unclaimed and un loved upright phonographs around today.