Anyone here just have bad luck getting a certain machine?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Re: Anyone here just have bad luck getting a certain machine

Post by AmberolaAndy »

If the machine at the local antique store is sold by Thursday, I guess I’ll just continue to save my money until the right one shows up. Hopefully by June of next year, if I don’t find one by then I will have one of you fine folks deliver me one while going to the Union show! (Heck by that point I’ll have enough money saved to get one of the fancy changer models) I’ve waited 3 years without getting a Credenza, I can go another 9 months without one and continue to save my money in the meantime. Because as the old saying goes: “Good things come to those who wait.” As “gramophone-georg” said in another thread: “Just because you lost out doesn't mean you're a loser who has to kick rocks and eat worms unless you WANT to be a loser and kick rocks and eat worms.“

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

andyjon100 wrote:Don't fret and bide your time. There is something happening in the world of antique radios, and I'm certain phonos will follow suit - if they haven't already - there is less and less of a market for the big ones that take up a lot of real estate, and prices are dropping. Older collectors are dying off and their collections are flooding the market, while others are realizing they'll never be able to get to every project they have if they lived 10 lifetimes, and are starting to let some things go. (I won't go into my disdain for hoarders, though). It seems prices are dropping in the antique markets in general - good for those of us who don't have a lot of disposable income. In that vein, someday I'll probably actually be able to afford a nice open horn disc machine that doesn't need to be completely reconstructed piecemeal! :lol: Have patience, keep the feelers out, and one will find YOU. (I waited 20 years to find needed parts for a radio I have that's very special to me).
I could not agree more. I am also interested in antique radios and film photography. it is interesting that antique phonographs have fell in value and even in demand as compared to just 10 years. Yes! there are some models which have held value and have seen increases, but common models are just not what they were. I am also seeing the same as you mentioned with console radios, they are getting to the dime a dozen, many need work. The advantage is that there seems to be more parts available for most of these phonographs than for the radios. Where I have seen significant jumps in prices now are the used and vintage cameras, many old twin lens reflex and early single lens reflex cameras are fetching hundreds of dollars, just a few years ago when phonographs were fetching higher prices, the camera's were maybe getting 50.00.

It is all trends, the advantage is that now is a great time to find a machine that one desires for a lower price. Timing is everything.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Victrolacollector wrote:
andyjon100 wrote:Don't fret and bide your time. There is something happening in the world of antique radios, and I'm certain phonos will follow suit - if they haven't already - there is less and less of a market for the big ones that take up a lot of real estate, and prices are dropping. Older collectors are dying off and their collections are flooding the market, while others are realizing they'll never be able to get to every project they have if they lived 10 lifetimes, and are starting to let some things go. (I won't go into my disdain for hoarders, though). It seems prices are dropping in the antique markets in general - good for those of us who don't have a lot of disposable income. In that vein, someday I'll probably actually be able to afford a nice open horn disc machine that doesn't need to be completely reconstructed piecemeal! :lol: Have patience, keep the feelers out, and one will find YOU. (I waited 20 years to find needed parts for a radio I have that's very special to me).
I could not agree more. I am also interested in antique radios and film photography. it is interesting that antique phonographs have fell in value and even in demand as compared to just 10 years. Yes! there are some models which have held value and have seen increases, but common models are just not what they were. I am also seeing the same as you mentioned with console radios, they are getting to the dime a dozen, many need work. The advantage is that there seems to be more parts available for most of these phonographs than for the radios. Where I have seen significant jumps in prices now are the used and vintage cameras, many old twin lens reflex and early single lens reflex cameras are fetching hundreds of dollars, just a few years ago when phonographs were fetching higher prices, the camera's were maybe getting 50.00.

It is all trends, the advantage is that now is a great time to find a machine that one desires for a lower price. Timing is everything.
It also pays to put want ads out on Yankee Trader and Craigslist. ;) If it works out I may be getting a machine from one of those places. Now to convince to family members not everything is a scam online...

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Well guys...

THE CURSE CONTINUES!!! :evil:

Another local Credenza that got away!
Looks like i'm going to be importing a Credenza from the Yankee Trader section after all...

Oh Well...saves me from overpaying eh? ;)

I guess it was a bit naive on my part to assume that an item that had been listed for sale on eBay and Craigslist for weeks prior would stay for sale for just another week. :|

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

To conclude this thread, I have two words to say:

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

That is all... :D

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

AmberolaAndy wrote:To conclude this thread, I have two words to say:

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

Spill it.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

gramophone-georg wrote:

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

Spill it.
Ask and yee shall receive...

I’d like the thank Jim (Victor78) Keith (pierce-arrow) and Jackie for making this possible.

Haven’t plugged it in yet but check out the hydraulic action of the lid!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=INGnNUHzge4

BOOM!

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Congrats Andy! I hope you enjoy her for a very long time.

All's well that ends well...

Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

AmberolaAndy wrote:
gramophone-georg wrote:

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

Spill it.
Ask and yee shall receive...

I’d like the thank Jim (Victor78) Keith (pierce-arrow) and Jackie for making this possible.

Haven’t plugged it in yet but check out the hydraulic action of the lid!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=INGnNUHzge4

BOOM!
Can’t let it go. The dash pots are pneumatic. Congratulations on the new machine. Is it all that you hoped for?

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Congratulations! for a long wish accomplished! Enjoy it!
I usually play my records on an HMV194, and that was an unexpected finding, also after a loooong wish to have a huge ortho machine. This one fulfills the best listening expectations (leaving apart the EMGs and Experts ...)
I hope I finally could see and listen to one of those for the first time, this October at Malvern UK; the one owned by the CLPGS, if it is going to be there, which I expect...
Inigo