H&S horn...to refinish or not

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
RSStone
Victor O

Re: H&S horn...to refinish or not

Post by RSStone »

cchaven wrote:That looks really good. The artist did a good job on the flowers. It looks like it started out a bit more corroded than mine. I really like the color. How did you strip it?
I was very happy with her work, the horn's owner is over the Moon Happy in his own words, unfortunately my p.o.s. camera didn't really show the flowers color but I posted a video on my post on the tips & tricks page that really show how bright they are.

I Started with wire wheel on a bench grinder, then smaller wire wheel on a drill, and then a wire brush with a long handle to get down the neck and in all the creases. Then worked it all over with green scotch brite followed by 0000 steel wool until it had a decent shine, no corrosion or paint, wiped with mineral spirits and let dry and then the metalcast base/ground coat. I had @ 12-13 hours in it by the time the artist started.

Spadanny
Victor Jr

Re: H&S horn...to refinish or not

Post by Spadanny »

what kind of paint do you use to touch up the horn if you are restoring one that has mostly original paint job in tact? would it be acrylic?