Installing new grill cloth

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Bruce_Van_Note
Victor I

Installing new grill cloth

Post by Bruce_Van_Note »

I recently bought a VV 8-9 that needed new grill cloth. I bought new cloth, but it was shipped to me FOLDED with deep crease marks. Any suggestions on how to remove the crease marks without damaging a $127.00 investment?. Also, any info on the best way to place and install the cloth into the grill? Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
"No matter where you go, there you are"

Victor VI

Re: Installing new grill cloth

Post by 52089 »

You should be able to iron any kind of fabric without issues. Start on lower settings and work up as needed.

When in doubt, ask the seller for instructions.

Retrograde
Victor III

Post by Retrograde »

when you stretch it out on the grill frame the creases should go away.

PS: when re-installing the grill and cloth, be sure not to snag the cloth with the four screws. It will put a thread pull in the cloth that you can see from the front. :oops:

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

After years of trying to stretch them on the frame it self and always ended up with it saggy or not very tight. For some reason it finally struck me that If I use a piece of ply wood some larger than the grill and stretch the cloth on that, stapling it down around the edges so that its taunt, then place glue on the rear of the grill and weigh it down with heavy books or something. That way when it dries you can remove the cloth from the plywood and it will be stretched tightly on the grill. So far any I have done that way have stood humid weather and normal cleaning and play without any sign of saggin. You can then cut it with a utility knife or scissors to remove the extra on the edges.

As to the creases I agree careful ironing with light misting of some water should get rid of most of it. I had one piece that didn't want to get a fold down the center out, so I maneuvered that crease behind a part of the grill that ran all the way down from top to bottom. Even it the part doesn't go quite all the way it will hide enough of the crease that its not very noticeable.. But ironing it out is best if possible. it the material is anything but cotton I would check to see how hot an iron can be before chances of melting the fabric come into play.

Larry

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

larryh wrote:After years of trying to stretch them on the frame it self and always ended up with it saggy or not very tight. For some reason it finally struck me that If I use a piece of ply wood some larger than the grill and stretch the cloth on that, stapling it down around the edges so that its taunt, then place glue on the rear of the grill and weigh it down with heavy books or something. That way when it dries you can remove the cloth from the plywood and it will be stretched tightly on the grill. So far any I have done that way have stood humid weather and normal cleaning and play without any sign of saggin. You can then cut it with a utility knife or scissors to remove the extra on the edges.

As to the creases I agree careful ironing with light misting of some water should get rid of most of it. I had one piece that didn't want to get a fold down the center out, so I maneuvered that crease behind a part of the grill that ran all the way down from top to bottom. Even it the part doesn't go quite all the way it will hide enough of the crease that its not very noticeable.. But ironing it out is best if possible. it the material is anything but cotton I would check to see how hot an iron can be before chances of melting the fabric come into play.

Larry
Agreed. Iron the cloth, pre-stretch it, and then glue it to the grille.

Bill

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

larryh wrote:After years of trying to stretch them on the frame it self and always ended up with it saggy or not very tight. For some reason it finally struck me that If I use a piece of ply wood some larger than the grill and stretch the cloth on that, stapling it down around the edges so that its taunt, then place glue on the rear of the grill and weigh it down with heavy books or something. That way when it dries you can remove the cloth from the plywood and it will be stretched tightly on the grill. So far any I have done that way have stood humid weather and normal cleaning and play without any sign of saggin. You can then cut it with a utility knife or scissors to remove the extra on the edges.

Larry

That is a good idea Larry, thank you for sharing it with us.

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

One thing I forgot to mention is that just to be on the safe side that the material doesn't' get stuck to the plywood I put down sheets of wax paper under the cloth before stretching it tightly. That way after it dries no chance it will be hung up on the board. If the glue is thinly but evenly spread around the inner edges and some points on the grill pattern it shouldn't be enough to cause a problem, the wax paper is an insurance it won't happen.

Larry

Retrograde
Victor III

Post by Retrograde »

For what its worth... the original grill cloth on the 8-9 is held in with wooden slats in a groove. Gluing without the slats would not be a true restoration.

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

Yes, the pressure of the slates as they are pushed into the groove will pull the cloth tight.
Here are a few more tips:
Use a sprayer to damp wet the cloth. This will cause most cloth to relax and expand a little. Upon drying, it will shrink a little and pull tight. This will also cause the wrinkles to disappear without having to iron the material.
For those cases where there are no grooves and slats, after dampening the material, use a piece of corrugated cardboard and pull it taught, then use pins to hold it in place. If you are gluing, apply the glue to the outer area of the frame only. If there is a pattern in the material, align the frame above the material accordingly, and then lower into place and press down. The corrugated cardboard will give enough to allow the material and the frame to have good contact. Leave the pins in place until the glue dries, then trim the excess material.
Cheers, Russie

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

Some grills don't have a slat to put the cloth in and were glued from the start. Just looked an neither my Edison or Brunswick have the kind of slat set up. Its like new screens that are held in place in a recess, neither of these have any. The edison does have a wood slat that forms the exterior of the grill cloth area but no way I see to tighten the cloth with it.