Victrola VV 8-35

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
orthofanatic
Victor Jr

Victrola VV 8-35

Post by orthofanatic »

Hello all again! Some of you may remember from my last post that I had gone to look at both a Brunswick Seville and Victrola VV 4-40 the other week. Unfortunately both panned out as the Brunswick was way too expensive for the condition and I have yet to hear back from the owners of the VV 4-40. So far I've been patiently waiting for something else, and maybe something better, to appear. However, I think my patience may have paid off!

Tomorrow morning Im going to look at a 8-35 that appeared on Craigslist a few hours away. The owner was kind enough to send lots of pictures and a video of it working, and aside from the usual small blemishes everything looks in very good condition. Half of the original albums are with the machine, and the needles drawer has all of the cups. The owner said the tone arm bracket was replaced along with the guide pin, and the reproducer was free from any cracks or swelling. Its also a spring motor model, and not the VE model

I do have a couple of questions. Other than the usual things to look for, such as cracked reproducer and running quality, is there anything else to look for that's specific to the 8-35? Also, how heavy are these machines? Its just going to be my father and I going so I want to make sure him and I, plus possibly the seller, can get this into my father's truck. Lastly, whats the current value on these machines? The last mention about the 8-35 in the forum I saw was from 2014, so I was wondering what would be a reasonable asking price for these.

Thanks!

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Re: Victrola VV 8-35

Post by barnettrp21122 »

The VV 8-35 is not as heavy or bulky as a Credenza. Two men should have no trouble loading this, and if necessary it can be transported on its back, so long as loose parts and tone arm are secured or removed. Veneer issues are one possible problem with these, with slivers missing sometimes around the top and corners.
If the cabinet is acceptable and the bronze reproducer has no issues, other than a typical rebuild, I'd say $300.00 or so would be reasonable for this machine in the current market.
I really like my 8-35, much more than my Credenza.
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

orthofanatic
Victor Jr

Post by orthofanatic »

Thats perfect, the seller was telling me that it weighed upwards of 200 lbs so I just wanted to make sure if it was that heavy or not! From the pictures the veneer looks in good shape on the top and edges, except for above the speaker grill. That little panel is cracked and looks like its starting to come away from the back, but it hasnt come off, its still all intact. Are the reproducers on the 8-35 models not pot metal? I thought they were all made out of pot metal after the early Credenzas. I had been looking for a Credenza but when this popped up on Craigslist I knew there wouldnt be another in this condition available for a while probably. When I get a bigger place Ill have to start looking for a Credenza to add :D

mattrx
Victor IV

Post by mattrx »

barnettrp21122 wrote:The VV 8-35 is not as heavy or bulky as a Credenza. Two men should have no trouble loading this, and if necessary it can be transported on its back, so long as loose parts and tone arm are secured or removed. Veneer issues are one possible problem with these, with slivers missing sometimes around the top and corners.
If the cabinet is acceptable and the bronze reproducer has no issues, other than a typical rebuild, I'd say $300.00 or so would be reasonable for this machine in the current market.
I really like my 8-35, much more than my Credenza.
Bob
Like Bob, I have owned Credenzas and 8-35's. My VE 8-35 is my daily player. The sound to me is more pleasing than that of the Credenza. I also like the lighted turntable compartment of the VE version. Reproduction spines are available to complete your set of albums. These are beautiful machines when restored and the sound is phenomenal. You'll be pleased.

There are 2 8-35's for sale near Memphis right now-not sure where you are located. One is mine, the other is another forum member's. Take a look in the trader section for pics to compare with the one you are considering.

Matt

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

When I purchased my Victrola 8-12, I removed the crank by unscrewing it counter clockwise. I lifted out the turn table. Then I unscrewed the motor board screws and lifted the complete motor out of the cabinet. I brought along a cardboard box that I could place the motor into without it bottoming out. That alone reduced the weight of the cabinet considerably. All you need is a screw driver. You will want to remove the reproducer and tone arm as well. The record books are pretty hard to find so you need to protect them also. If you wrap the cabinet in a blanket or plastic you will protect the veneer from damage. The cabinets are heavy so be careful how you move it. Good luck! :)
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

Pathe Logical
Victor II

Post by Pathe Logical »

PM sent.

zenith82
Victor II

Post by zenith82 »

The biggest thing I would look for is pot metal deterioration aside from cabinet issues. Also, check the horn for separation.

I would recommend removing the crank, motor board, tone arm, and all loose hardware like needle cups. I always bring along a roll of plastic shrink wrap to wrap cabinets in and some old blankets to lay them on. It shouldn't be too bad to move if you move the cabinet separately.

Depending on condition, I'd offer maybe $250-300. Less if there are issues. Although the 8-35 is a nice machine and was only built for one year, it seems that a lot of them have survived.

zenith82
Victor II

Post by zenith82 »

How did it go?

orthofanatic
Victor Jr

Post by orthofanatic »

Sorry for the delay in getting back, however I am now the proud owner of a VV 8-35 SN#2132! The owner was offering it for $475, and I was able to pick up the machine for $385. There are a couple of small veneer issues around the back corners of the top, but nothing you would notice on a first glance, and on the small panel that's inset up the speaker. Otherwise the cabinet is in very good condition for 91 years old and just needs to be cleaned. The grill cloth is also all intact. The needle drawer has the original cups and there were 7 seven of the original albums included. The seller was also nice enough to let me look through their records they had and take whichever ones I wanted, so I went home with around 40 records. When Im back home tonight Ill remember to take some pictures and upload them here.

There are only a couple of items that really need to be addressed. The rubber gasket at the mounting flange is hard and loose from the reproducer so I'm ordering a new mounting flange with rubber gasket to replace that. Additionally on some of the records with very loud notes there is a buzzing noise. I believe the bearings need to be addressed based of the info on this forum, so I went ahead and ordered a kit for that as well. Other than those two items, the diaphragm looks to be intact and the back plate has no cracks in it. I am planning on eventually having it sent to be rebuilt, but I'm hoping with the replacing the flange and bearing it should be much better sounding.

Regarding cleaning and polishing the cabinet, I've seen people mentioning Goop or Gojo soap and then using Feed N' Wax. What would be the best products to use to bring back some of the original luster?

Overall I'm very happy with my purchase and look forward to collecting more records and enjoying it for many more years. I can tell I've been bitten by the bug already because a VV 8-4 popped up on Craigslist over the weekend near me and I'm thinking of looking at that maybe :shock: What have I gotten myself into... :roll:

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Congratulations! The 8-35 is a great machine and having most of the original albums is a definite plus. GoJo or GooP without pumice(!) is great for cleaning. Just wipe it onto one surface at a time, wait a few minutes and wipe it off completely with lots of paper towels. Make sure you also remove it from corners and crevices. I use Q-Tips for that. You will notice that the surface may be a bit sticky afterwards. Let it dry for a couple of days and then use the Feed-N-Wax as directed on the bottle. You will be amazed by the difference.

I'm not sure I would bother with an 8-4, since you already own an 8-35.

Andreas