Edison model B with speed control

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
JohnnyMontana
Victor Jr

Edison model B with speed control

Post by JohnnyMontana »

Hi everybody. First of all I’m new to this forum and new to phonographs, even though I’ve had this model B for many years. The last time it was played was around 1961. It’s in great shape and runs very smooth. In an attempt to confirm the model I found that’s it is one of a handful unique machines. The bed plate is secured with 5 screws, the motor frame is cushioned by springs and it has the B mainspring. What’s unique is the hole in the bedplate directly above the speed control screw. The screw is slotted for a straight slot screwdriver. The bedplate finish appears to roll into the hole. The machine does not have holes for a repeater, nor does it appear to have pinholes for an I.C.S. nameplate. The serial number is 461405 and the last patent date is Oct. 3, 1905. I found another post from someone with a similar model B, but his had a thumbscrew similar to a model A for the speed adjust. I’m trying to piece together as much history on this as I can but there isn’t much out there. Anybody got any intel on this ?
Attachments
BD2CA699-1475-4B47-862A-F710F90FACC9.jpeg
DBC8927B-A1B9-400B-9A61-55126C6DC03B.jpeg
31409018-7ECC-4A65-A7D6-F20BD49CE7AD.jpeg
31B1B80E-3F49-47CA-B338-CDD0AD86F97D.jpeg

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Edison model B with speed control

Post by phonogfp »

Welcome to the forum and to the hobby!

First, your machine is a Standard Model B. There were Edison Model B Homes, Model B Triumphs, Model B Gems, Model B Firesides... Yours is a Standard.

I've seen one or two other Model B Standards (possibly a Home) where a modification similar to your was made - - and without any indication of language lesson use. I don't recall seeing any period documentation on such modifications, so I can only surmise that either the factory or an Edison dealer would do the work if requested by a customer (no doubt for an extra fee). It stands to reason that folks in the 1905-1908 period who already had a collection of earlier brown wax records might be put off by the "improvement" of a hidden speed control that appeared in most Edison "B" series machines. (Your Standard dates to May 1907.) It would have been a pretty simple modification to make.

George P.

ts_13
Victor II

Post by ts_13 »

I had a standard B with a speed adjustment as well. Neat little machine, here is the post I put up about it.

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... standard+b

JohnnyMontana
Victor Jr

Post by JohnnyMontana »

I saw your post. Not much info out there about these machines with this modification

ts_13
Victor II

Post by ts_13 »

JohnnyMontana wrote:I saw your post. Not much info out there about these machines with this modification
Agreed... Its a neat concept. I probably should have kept that player I had.

JohnnyMontana
Victor Jr

Post by JohnnyMontana »

There’s a guy here in San Diego that has an extensive phonograph collection. I’ll go by today and see if he’s around. Maybe he might know something. If I ever find out more I’ll post it

whitedogfive
Victor O

Post by whitedogfive »

I have an Edison model B with the speed adjustment knob. It also has the cygnet horn, so I assume that it was very difficult to lift the bed plate to adjust the speed, when you have to take the horn off to do that. The Edison store would do the modification for you. Here is a link to help:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=27750