Opinions on the Brunswick 8-7 Panatrope?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Cody K
Victor III

Opinions on the Brunswick 8-7 Panatrope?

Post by Cody K »

I'm kind of interested in a Brunswick 'Exponential Type' Panatrope Model 8-7, but not too keen on a round trip to Boston to get it. I haven't had any luck searching for discussion of the model on the forum because the search function doesn't seem to recognize terms like 8-30 or 8-7. As Brunswick's competitor to Victor's 'Consolette', is anyone familiar with the 8-7 and how their sounds compare? Brunswick's Portable Panatropes are famously good-sounding -- is the 8-7 capable of matching that?

Thanks for any opinions.
"Gosh darn a Billiken anyhow."- Uncle Josh Weathersby

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Re: Opinions on the Brunswick 8-7 Panatrope?

Post by audiophile102 »

Try searching with Google using this:
site:forum.talkingmachine.info Brunswick 8-7
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

Cody K
Victor III

Post by Cody K »

Thank you. I never would have thought of that. It doesn't turn up much that answers my questions, though...?
"Gosh darn a Billiken anyhow."- Uncle Josh Weathersby

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Cody K wrote:Thank you. I never would have thought of that. It doesn't turn up much that answers my questions, though...?
Hi Cody:

I've owned a Consolette and can say that it sounds fantastic for its size--no bass, but a very solid midrange and treble performance. It sounds more like a smaller electrically amplified phonograph than an acoustic one.

As for the comparable Brunswick exponential horn Panatrope models, I've only listened to the YouTube videos, such as this one -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQyQzm0 ... &index=323 From what I can tell, in comparison to the videos profiling the Consolette, they're a close match--comparing one video's sound quality with another video's.

Since so much depends on the quality of the microphones used, room acoustics, the skill of the person making the video, etc., you can't really judge by what you hear on YouTube. Hopefully, someone who has listened to both models in the real world will chime in soon with a comparison.

OrthoFan