Hawthorne & Sheble Glass Top Cylinder Cabinet Restoration

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
jdphonograph
Victor Jr

Hawthorne & Sheble Glass Top Cylinder Cabinet Restoration

Post by jdphonograph »

This past weekend I was combing through local antique sale ads and came across one for a spool cabinet. I looked at the pictures and knew right away it was a cylinder cabinet. Upon researching further I determined it's a Hawthorne & Sheble glass top.

It's in amazing condition. The interesting thing is that a panel was screwed on the top where the phonograph and glass top would be. It did look like an old modification given the age of it, likely repurposing the cabinet after cylinder records died out. I hate to think what was done with the phonograph! Once the panel was removed I could immediately see the outline of where the phonograph and glass top were.

Long story short, I would love to get some insight on how to best go about restoring this. I was able to find replacement pegs that I've already ordered, however I will need a glass top and the correct crank with extension. If someone can direct me on who might have those available? Or even the full measurements of the glass top would be great to get my hands on to potentially build myself.

I also have an Edison home with the green oak long case I was going to try to temporarily fit to see if that is the right size. I know these were cut to order for the phonograph you had at the time, but the cutout looks like an earlier edison home. If any suggestions here as well please let me know.

Any help is much appreciated. Pictures below for more detail. Thank you.
20190819_125509.jpg
20190819_125528.jpg
20190819_125606.jpg
20190819_125749.jpg

tomb
Victor IV

Re: Hawthorne & Sheble Glass Top Cylinder Cabinet Restoratio

Post by tomb »

That will be a unique beauty when it is finished. Have fun with this one Tom

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

What a terrific find and outstanding project. Congratulations!

Jerry B.

Shawn
Victor IV
Personal Text: Its only Fun, when we're all having Fun!

Post by Shawn »

First off, congratulations. What an awesome find!

Here is some information that may help. I made one of these tops, probably 25 years ago for the first of these H&S cabinets that I found. To do so, I took some measurements from an original. I've attached those measurements.

Additionally, I've attached a picture of a cabinet just like yours with an original lid, though with a Standard, rather than a Home (which yours is cut out for) under the glass. The lid was the same size for either a Home or a Standard.

I've also attached a close up of an original lid in a Home cabinet, though this one does not have the locking top board like the Standard, or your Home cabinet. However, it better shows the corner mortise detail and is the exact same lid.

Finally, I've attached a picture of the crank you'll be looking for.

I am still looking for the measurements for the crank extension. I no longer own any of these cabinets, but I am sure there are members on the forum that do and can get you details for that.

Best of luck completing this cabinet. It is a worthy project. Subsequent to that first cabinet missing the lid, I've owned several complete versions of these Hawthorne and Sheble cabinets over the years. They are stunning when completed.

Shawn

Home and Standard Glass top measurements Edison Standard Under Glass - locking top Board
Under Glass Standard (7).jpg
Edison Under Glass Standard (3).JPG
Edison Home Under Glass - non-locking top board
Edison Home Under Glass (4).jpg
Crank for H&S under glass cabinet
H&S Crank.JPG
Subscribe to my music and phonograph videos at https://www.youtube.com/@Shawn_O_Phonograph

jdphonograph
Victor Jr

Post by jdphonograph »

Thank you for the invaluable detail.

I'm actually surprised how simple the top glass enclosure is when compared to the immense detail in the cabinet. I would love to know what they were thinking at the time they designed it. If I do end up fabricating this from scratch, I might consider adding some slight detail from the cabinet into the glass enclosure frame, maybe some fluting? I know this isn't a purist approach, but if it comes out well and looks like it belongs I would think it only adds to the appearance. Anyone strongly disagree?

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

These required an adapter to fit onto the winding shaft in order to lengthen it for the crank Shawn posted above. Here are pictures and dimensions of the adapter. It simply fits over the normal shaft, with a small set screw to secure it. Relatively simple as such things go.
Attachments
hs1.JPG
hs.JPG

cchaven
Victor Jr

Post by cchaven »

That's a sweet looking cabinet even as it is. That'd be a great display for a Home and functional since the tubes for the drawers are easily obtained/made per other posts here.

jdphonograph
Victor Jr

Post by jdphonograph »

Thanks. Someone is selling the pegs for $75/100 on ebay, bought 200 and got a discount $65/100. Only catch they are including the caps I'll have to glue in myself and they are black pegs (believe the original in this were white). I have another cylinder cabinet I have to put the pegs in too. Altogether,including my Amberola 75 and Amberola 30 in a babson, I have 5 cylinder cabinets now. But this H&S is the oldest and best quality I've seen. Very excited about getting a machine in it. Will provide photos when it's all done.

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

Just to add to Shawn’s post if you find an original H&S Crank you will also need this adapter. It attaches to the winding shaft in the Edison Home and extends it to meet the H&S Crank. This one is actually a reproduction identical to the original.

Rich Gordon
Attachments
804C4AB2-B7FA-4F87-BE9A-75B7BF7B957C.jpeg
34F32ACB-800F-42B6-B619-C7BF44DB2421.jpeg
040A45A7-1278-4C68-B4F6-854AA5AF7B09.png