My new VE 8-30X Leather Tooled Credenza

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
melvind
Victor IV

My new VE 8-30X Leather Tooled Credenza

Post by melvind »

I bought my first Credenza in 2001. I drove with a friend about 400 miles for it. It sounded great, but it was not the best looking example. And, I never did seal the horn which might have made it even better. Well, last May I had the chance to buy a leather tooled version which is something I have been wanting for many years. This one already had the electric motor serviced, the horn sealed, and a reproducer rebuilt by Marcus Wyatt. I thought it had to be good. I got the machine home last weekend nd, boy was I right! The first record I played on it after getting it in my collection was loud and clear and makes me very happy every time I play it.

The only downside to all this is that the buy I bought it from attempted to get the gold wash back on the reproducer (after it had been rebuilt). He was careful to not get anything on the diaphragm, but it looks kind of terrible and wrong. Even the backside which should be black has some gold on it. I think a qtip, patience and some careful use of acetone or mineral spirits I can make it look better. But, it sounds like a million bucks which the most important thing to me for now.

And I owe a big thanks to Jerry Blais that helped me pick this up in Downtown LA right after the APS show a couple of weeks ago. I won't go into all the details now, but it was harrowing and time consuming endeavor that made our exit from LA get delayed and I know Jerry wasn't real happy with all of that. But, he made it possible for me to have this machine.

Here are a few pics.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: My new VE 8-30X Leather Tooled Credenza

Post by gramophone-georg »

Gorgeous machine. Bet it sounds wonderful! Congratulations!

I sort of like the incorrect gold on the back of the reproducer. It'd be fun to re do it then lightly sand the raised lettering so it shows through black. Hot rod, anyone? :)
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Wow!!

Looks like new!

Congrats!

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to empty my drool bucket... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

That's a real beauty alright. I have a feeling I know who you bought that from, if I'm correct, he's quite a character and that machine has seen several states in the last couple of years.

Congrats!

Seam

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Gorgeous, congratulations!

Cheers,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

That is a very nice Credenza. Definitely a late one as it has the record supporters and the tonearm bracket. And you didn’t have to pay $1000+! I wish I could run into a seller of a Credenza like that someday... :shock: (ok, ok, I’ll stop griping lol!) :D

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

AmberolaAndy wrote:That is a very nice Credenza. Definitely a late one as it has the record supporters and the tonearm bracket. And you didn’t have to pay $1000+! I wish I could run into a seller of a Credenza like that someday... :shock: (ok, ok, I’ll stop griping lol!) :D
Normal Credenzas are well below $1000+ these days. I see prices like $350 to $600 pretty regularly. However, the Leather tooled models do not go anywhere near that cheap. I got mine for what I thought was a great price, but it was north of $1000.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

melvind wrote: Normal Credenzas are well below $1000+ these days. I see prices like $350 to $600 pretty regularly.
Not where I’m at. :roll: It seems the 1920s more like the “Meowing” 20s where I’m at instead of the “Roaring” 20s in other parts of the US lol! :lol:

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

AmberolaAndy wrote:
melvind wrote: Normal Credenzas are well below $1000+ these days. I see prices like $350 to $600 pretty regularly.
Not where I’m at. :roll: It seems the 1920s more like the “Meowing” 20s where I’m at instead of the “Roaring” 20s in other parts of the US lol! :lol:
I don't know where you're looking, but in addition to Craigslist and eBay, I'd suggest Facebook Marketplace (FBM) and any of the various buy/sell apps like Ibotta, LetGo, etc. I know of 2 Credenzas in the northeast that are under $200 on FBM. Smaller machines show up more - there are at least 5 or 6 4-7s within a hour's drive of me. Your results will of course vary greatly, but it's still worth looking from time to time.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Beautiful Credenza, Dan! The leather-tooled cabinets have an appearance all their own. Congratulations!

George P.