Orthophonic reproducer with mesh

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Willysx1
Victor Jr

Orthophonic reproducer with mesh

Post by Willysx1 »

I recently bought a Victor VV8-12 #7230 with a reproducer that has wire mesh in it. Was this common on this model. I have not seen it before. Picture attached.
Attachments
IMG_0134.JPG

OrthoSean
Victor V

Re: Orthophonic reproducer with mesh

Post by OrthoSean »

It's a later replacement. The original on your 8-12 didn't have a screen, but it likely had pot metal issues. The screen type is a perfectly good reproducer with more stable pot metal Victor actually did sell these as replacements.

Sean

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Re: Orthophonic reproducer with mesh

Post by De Soto Frank »

Willys -

The reproducer you pictured was generally furnished with portable Orthophonic machines, such as the 2-55, 2-65, and the 7-11 Radiola combo.

Under the screen was usually a felt muffler, to dampen the sound from the diaphragm with portable machines where the lid could not be closed during playing.

The very latest versions of this reproducer are marked "RCA".

I am not aware of the larger Orthophonics having been furnished with these reproducers from the factory...

They are basically the # 5 Orthophonic Soundbox with the addition of the cover and screen.

Be cautious in removing the cover, as the "cheeks" that wrap around the bearing housing take the place of the "tear-drop" covers that retain the ball bearings for the needle-bar.

De Soto Frank
De Soto Frank