Installing new grill cloth

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Installing new grill cloth

Post by JerryVan »

larryh wrote:Some grills don't have a slat to put the cloth in and were glued from the start. Just looked an neither my Edison or Brunswick have the kind of slat set up. Its like new screens that are held in place in a recess, neither of these have any. The edison does have a wood slat that forms the exterior of the grill cloth area but no way I see to tighten the cloth with it.

Yes, but he's not working on an Edison or a Brunswick, he's working on a Victor Orthophonic 8-9.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I'm wondering how close a match is the material you bought to the original? Is it as thin as the original?

Retrograde
Victor III

Post by Retrograde »

marcapra wrote:I'm wondering how close a match is the material you bought to the original? Is it as thin as the original?
If it's from the original stock of grillecloth.com then it's pretty spot on. I bought some several years ago before it went out of production. In hindsight, probably should have bought all I could get my hands on.

Bruce_Van_Note
Victor I

Post by Bruce_Van_Note »

I'll be installing the grill cloth soon. The color match to the original cloth is pretty spot-on. For others, there are the insertion slots in the back of the grill frame and it should work well. I may try a low-temp iron to deal with the creases, but the application should go well. Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions.
"No matter where you go, there you are"

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Bruce , another way to protect the cloth while ironing is to put a slightly damp cotton cloth over the grille cloth and iron that way. Do you know what the grille cloth is made of? Is it real silk or synthetic material. Synthetic material, which is what they sell on Ebay is plastic and can melt or burn under a hot iron.