The heaviness of Credenzas

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Re: The heaviness of Credenzas

Post by alang »

AmberolaAndy wrote: I’m in Valley Nebraska a small town just west of Omaha! I got about $360 total selling all three. My front lawn is not Macy’s or Walmart, and this ain’t American Pickers. Plus I got hundreds More selling other items at my sale. It all ads up!
Congratulations again. Like I said, here in Delaware I would have a hard time selling one I think. People buy only plastic junk for pennies at yard sales, or they want new stuff for a dollar. Glad it worked out for you. Please share pictures of the credenza when you get one.

Andreas

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

alang wrote:
AmberolaAndy wrote: I’m in Valley Nebraska a small town just west of Omaha! I got about $360 total selling all three. My front lawn is not Macy’s or Walmart, and this ain’t American Pickers. Plus I got hundreds More selling other items at my sale. It all ads up!
Congratulations again. Like I said, here in Delaware I would have a hard time selling one I think. People buy only plastic junk for pennies at yard sales, or they want new stuff for a dollar. Glad it worked out for you. Please share pictures of the credenza when you get one.

Andreas
Not to mention if I end up giving what I don’t sell to Goodwill they’ll Just slap a higher price on the stuff than what I’m asking!

The store where the Credenza is at is only open Thurs-Sun I think. So hopefully it won’t sell in the next six days. If not I’m probably still being punished for a mirror that I broke in 2015. :lol:

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Well, this is starting to look like a “one that got away” situation. So I’m wondering will there be anyone willing to ship a Credenza to me? I made an ad in the Yankee Trader section because I give up on trying to find one locally. :(

cheryla
Victor II
Personal Text: YouTube: Dyslexic Genius Hurt

Post by cheryla »

They are about 100 pounda.

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

I wish I had a photo of my Columbia 810 on its way home about 100 miles from the dealer on top of my Volvo Sedan, the older 50s styled one. I have no idea how we managed to lay that thing on top of it but we did. Makes you realize how much strength you loose when your older. The 800 which replaced the 810 I bought just around the corner out here in the country. Amazing it was sitting that close for the 38 years I have been out here now and never knew it was there, although I knew the owner pretty well. To move it I had to have a weight lifter neighbor and his son and the three of us just barely got it down a flight of outside basement steps. How I am going to get it back out I don't know!

cenfin
Victor Jr

Post by cenfin »

have passed up many Credenzas because all of them have pot metal Reproducers that are all cracked or put together with glue. I understand some of them had Brass Reproducers, but I never have seen one.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

cenfin wrote:have passed up many Credenzas because all of them have pot metal Reproducers that are all cracked or put together with glue. I understand some of them had Brass Reproducers, but I never have seen one.
Only the early 2-door Credenzas had brass reproducers. After that it was pot metal to the end of the run.

Personally, I would never pass up an otherwise decent Orthophonic because of a bad reproducer. I would try to get the machine at a decent (reduced) price and then buy a good reproducer separately. Alternatively, if you get a pot metal reproducer in decent shape, it can be rebuilt by several of the people on this board. You can also buy reproduction shells for Orthophonic reproducers and just transfer over the usable parts.
Last edited by 52089 on Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

52089 wrote:
cenfin wrote:have passed up many Credenzas because all of them have pot metal Reproducers that are all cracked or put together with glue. I understand some of them had Brass Reproducers, but I never have seen one.
Only the early 4-door Credenzas had brass reproducers. After that it was pot metal to the end of the run.

Personally, I would never pass up an otherwise decent Orthophonic because of a bad reproducer. I would try to get the machine at a decent (reduced) price and then buy a good reproducer separately. Alternatively, if you get a pot metal reproducer in decent shape, it can be rebuilt by several of the people on this board. You can also buy reproduction shells for Orthophonic reproducers and just transfer over the usable parts.
The early Credenzas had 2 doors and Gold plated, Brass reproducers.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Django wrote:
The early Credenzas had 2 doors and Gold plated, Brass reproducers.
Thanks, I meant 2-door. Corrected my post. :oops: