IMPORTANT Cylinder Leather Belting NEWS! Need input

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
MicaMonster
Victor III
Personal Text: Never Settled

IMPORTANT Cylinder Leather Belting NEWS! Need input

Post by MicaMonster »

Hello Everyone,

I have made, for YEARS what I and others consider the best leather belting for cylinder phonographs in the whole wide world! In multiple widths: 7/32, 5/16, and ⅜. One day I allowed myself to get discouraged, and I no longer have my cutter jig, or mending jig. It is TIME CONSUMING work, for little money. I had decided to stop making it because it was labor intensive.

After much feedback I have found a leather company that will accept my leather hides for processing, thinning and mending. THE ISSUE: I have to get a minimum quantity made. I can’t have 1-spool of each, like before. I’m looking at ordering multiples. The cost of the Texas steer hide is no laughing matter either. At this point, I’m down to my last 40 feet.

WHAT TO EXPECT; If you thought my previous/existing belting was ridiculously good, I assure you that the precision cutting and mending will be better than before!

WHAT I NEED FROM EVERYBODY: Because widths cost more per linear foot, I need feedback from everyone on the current need for 5/16 (used on Triumphs, Class-M, medium sized Graphophones), and the wider ⅜ (used on Graphophone BC, larger Graphophones, cylidner shaving machines).

My past pricing for 5/16 has been $2.25-$2.50 per foot, and for the ⅜” $3 per foot. I suspect that “industry” will encounter the same issues I had: to create belt with FEW splices, long linear cuts have to be made, which actually wastes the corners of the hide, consuming about 15-20% of the overall hide. I am hopeful that the costs will stay the same, or be slightly lower.

LET ME KNOW HOW MUCH OF 5/16 or ⅜ YOU EXPECT TO NEED OVER THE NEXT YEAR.

You can email me direct at restorationarts@gmail.com
Attachments
CA299A62-D3C9-4EDE-80FF-46DB417FCC0A.jpeg
-Antique Phonograph Reproducer Restorer-
http://www.EdisonDiamondDisc.com
Taming Orthophonics Daily!