Questions about Edison Recorders

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
MikeB
Victor II

Questions about Edison Recorders

Post by MikeB »

I have little or no experience with recording on Edison machines, so here are a couple of dumb questions.

How does one visually tell the difference between a 2-minute and a 4-minute recorder? I have several and don't know which is which.

Also, how does the process differ when recording with a 2-minute versus a 4-minute recorder?

The limited experience I've had recording has been mostly unsuccessful, but it's possible that none of these recorders have good cutters. A couple of these are missing cutters completely.(#2 in the rear photo of the 4 recorders actually has the "ski jump" and possibly a working cutter, but it fell off right before I took the picture. I found it later. :roll: ).

This is what I have:
Attachments
4Recorders.jpg
4RECORDERSRESR.jpg
Recorder 1.jpg
RECORDER 2.jpg
RECORDER3.jpg
RECORDER 4.jpg

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: Questions about Edison Recorders

Post by Phonofreak »

An Edison 4 min. recorder is very rare, and almost never turn up. They have a green tint on the neck and top plate. That is the same for a Model H reproducer. The cutting stylus is half the diameter of a 2 min. stylus.
Harvey Kravitz

coyote
Victor II

Post by coyote »

Here is what a 4-minute stylus holder looks like. I have seen 4-minute recorders that were not green tinted, but it was because a two-minute recorder top was used to replace a crumbling pot-metal 4-minute top piece.
IMG_4259.JPG
IMG_4260.JPG
IMG_4261.JPG
IMG_4294.JPG

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

It's a common misconception that 4M cutting styli are half the size of a 2M, but they are ¼ the size.

2M = .040" and are usually cupped (concave) at the end.
4M - .010" and are not cupped but may have a small dimple in the center of the end.

The 4M cutting styli is so small that it's difficult to see.