A Basketcase VV-X and Herzog...

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Cooljjay
Victor Jr

A Basketcase VV-X and Herzog...

Post by Cooljjay »

I picked this up a few weeks ago from a Habitat for 40$.....I really want to save it but I keep seeing the figure for parts and I question myself lol

What they told me is that it was in a basement, appears someone thought grandma might have hid her diamonds inside and tore the locked lid off :( I have no idea how the trim detail could be fixed besides a whole new cabinet...One spring is busted in the motor....the cabinet feet suffered from being in the basement one is completely MIA and the rest are in poor shape...plus all the normal issues...the veneer on the machine actually isn't to bad...
Attachments
IMG_20190823_182618726.jpg
IMG_20190823_181933958.jpg
IMG_20190823_181444808.jpg
IMG_20190823_181255642_HDR.jpg

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Re: A Basketcase VV-X and Herzog...

Post by GregVTLA »

This machine is a VV-X tabletop model, which is fairly desirable and even better with a matching cabinet. This may be a lot of work but it’d be a really great piece once finished.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I agree with GregVTLA. The Victrola was made during the infancy of Victrola production and, if possible, should be restored and saved. If the project is beyond your skill level you might pass it along to someone a bit more capable. Many first generation collectors would dismantle the early Victrola because there are so many horn machine parts used in construction. But I hope it will be restored. Jerry Blais

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

I have that same early model VV-X and agree that it is a nice and desirable machine. It is actually the second iteration of VV-X, the very short lived first version still had a bullet brake. Nevertheless, I don't see too much cost for parts as it seems pretty complete. Sounds like a spring or two, the missing door knob, and a Victrola key is all that's needed. You are kind of lucky that they broke open the rear side and not the front, so any repair won't be that visible. I don't think that trim detail will be that hard to duplicate. Take your time and consult with one of the experienced restorers on the forum. You also have the matching cabinet, which is awesome. Once finished the combination will be a gem in your collection.

Andreas

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

I wouldn't call it a basket case. I think it's actually a very doable restoration if you've done any restoration work. The best part, is the damage is in back, so even if it's not a perfect repair, most people won't ever see it.

IMHO, the best way to fix it is to chisel the break into a smooth cut, and glue a piece of mahogany into the gap. The trim work is fairly simple so if you stencil the pattern onto a piece of paper, you could cut it out of a piece of veneer. Look for a beat up door from a victrola on ebay if you don't have any junkers lying around, and peel the veneer off of it for the trim piece. I seem to recall some of them had thick veneers or were layered (I can't recall off the top of my head), and should be the right width. Another option I used for my VTLA trim was I glued two new sheets of veneer together and it turned out to be the right width.

Not sure what the best solution for the legs, but hey, you're 90% of the way there.

Again...save this machine!!!!

Cooljjay
Victor Jr

Post by Cooljjay »

Jerry B. wrote:I agree with GregVTLA. The Victrola was made during the infancy of Victrola production and, if possible, should be restored and saved. If the project is beyond your skill level you might pass it along to someone a bit more capable. Many first generation collectors would dismantle the early Victrola because there are so many horn machine parts used in construction. But I hope it will be restored. Jerry Blais
I've restored worse lol Just fitting it in the project line up, I always seem to get so many projects and they end up on the back burner pile lol The only thing I might have an issue with is the trim in the back buttt it is in the back so even if I just bypass that, very few will notice it....I read about these being gutted to sell off parts for the external horn machine...its a bit sad, these are very sexy internal horn machines...

Cooljjay
Victor Jr

Post by Cooljjay »

alang wrote:I have that same early model VV-X and agree that it is a nice and desirable machine. It is actually the second iteration of VV-X, the very short lived first version still had a bullet brake. Nevertheless, I don't see too much cost for parts as it seems pretty complete. Sounds like a spring or two, the missing door knob, and a Victrola key is all that's needed. You are kind of lucky that they broke open the rear side and not the front, so any repair won't be that visible. I don't think that trim detail will be that hard to duplicate. Take your time and consult with one of the experienced restorers on the forum. You also have the matching cabinet, which is awesome. Once finished the combination will be a gem in your collection.

Andreas
Doesn't need to much to put it back together but it adds up....figuring in materials to refinish the cabinet, along with grease, missing parts etc....plus...the feet for the cabinet, I'll keep the originals but I am thinking to just replace them with bun type feet or something that will blend in and there is more money...like with restoring a car, soon you'll be reaching near the value of a pristine machine lol

I actually have one V key that I was saving for a machine, and boom! here it is :P You are right! Super lucky they didn't go after the front, then that would be a hard repair....this even if I don't repair it, wouldn't be noticeable at all unless one turned it around...but you know, I'll always know it is there...
Last edited by Cooljjay on Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cooljjay
Victor Jr

Post by Cooljjay »

Zeppy wrote:I wouldn't call it a basket case. I think it's actually a very doable restoration if you've done any restoration work. The best part, is the damage is in back, so even if it's not a perfect repair, most people won't ever see it.

IMHO, the best way to fix it is to chisel the break into a smooth cut, and glue a piece of mahogany into the gap. The trim work is fairly simple so if you stencil the pattern onto a piece of paper, you could cut it out of a piece of veneer. Look for a beat up door from a victrola on ebay if you don't have any junkers lying around, and peel the veneer off of it for the trim piece. I seem to recall some of them had thick veneers or were layered (I can't recall off the top of my head), and should be the right width. Another option I used for my VTLA trim was I glued two new sheets of veneer together and it turned out to be the right width.

Not sure what the best solution for the legs, but hey, you're 90% of the way there.

Again...save this machine!!!!
It is doable and I really want to do it but I admit right now!!! I have a mental condition that causes me to buy money pits and basket case projects lol so I have a long waiting list :lol:

I didn't think about chiseling out the broken area and fitting in a new piece of wood and recreating it...good idea! Though I admit my wood working skills are novice at that but that doesn't seem to hard...

I would like to send the legs out to be reproduced/repaired but I know that will be $$$ so I am thinking of just finding some new period looking feet and casters to put on it...would probably be the best idea and save these in the cabinet so if I win the lotto to hire a wood worker...

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

Cooljjay wrote:
It is doable and I really want to do it but I admit right now!!! I have a mental condition that causes me to buy money pits and basket case projects lol so I have a long waiting list :lol:

I didn't think about chiseling out the broken area and fitting in a new piece of wood and recreating it...good idea! Though I admit my wood working skills are novice at that but that doesn't seem to hard...

I would like to send the legs out to be reproduced/repaired but I know that will be $$$ so I am thinking of just finding some new period looking feet and casters to put on it...would probably be the best idea and save these in the cabinet so if I win the lotto to hire a wood worker...
I think I have the same mental condition. I spent about 5 years restoring an oak VTLA someone pulled out of barn in Maine. I just finished up an early Victor VI that was beat the hell up. And I still have a Victor D (that I built up starting only from a data plate), a front mount Victor E (started with an incomplete case that was so rough I originally thought I was only purchasing for the data plate...but I felt bad about not trying to restore), Victrola XII and XVI (these two at least were mostly complete when I bought them...with the exception of a door missing on the XII. Took 3 years to find a replacement) in various states of restoration...and I suppose my Victor P-3 (which I originally purchase only for the brake to complete my Victor I...but again felt bad about thinking about scrapping) should have its motor rebuilt....

You should call some of the various suppliers around. Much to my surprise, I found out someone was reproducing the feet for my Victorla XII, so it is very possible someone may already be doing the work.

Cooljjay
Victor Jr

Post by Cooljjay »

Zeppy wrote:
I think I have the same mental condition. I spent about 5 years restoring an oak VTLA someone pulled out of barn in Maine. I just finished up an early Victor VI that was beat the hell up. And I still have a Victor D (that I built up starting only from a data plate), a front mount Victor E (started with an incomplete case that was so rough I originally thought I was only purchasing for the data plate...but I felt bad about not trying to restore), Victrola XII and XVI (these two at least were mostly complete when I bought them...with the exception of a door missing on the XII. Took 3 years to find a replacement) in various states of restoration...and I suppose my Victor P-3 (which I originally purchase only for the brake to complete my Victor I...but again felt bad about thinking about scrapping) should have its motor rebuilt....

You should call some of the various suppliers around. Much to my surprise, I found out someone was reproducing the feet for my Victorla XII, so it is very possible someone may already be doing the work.
Oh wow!! I lost all my collection in a fire some years ago and haven't really hunted many more phono's or radios to start my collection again....I want to say just this year I've been hunting for pieces to restore for the collection.....My biggest project is an old church and parsonage that we are restore for both our home and history sake....I hope to soon get a thrift store running in the church on the weekends and a large enough space for me to start working on projects again...Hopefully this week contractors will show back up at a cost of about 1500$ a day!! Here is a photo...

I am going to keep checking around for feet, this project will take some time....I just ordered the spring and parts to restore the reproducer and this will allow me to restore the motor n board...then I can at least play it :p Refinishing the cabinet will take the elbow grease!
Attachments
20180917_185358_HDR.jpg