HELP WITH AMBEROLA 50 REPRODUCER

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Pete Stratford
Victor II

HELP WITH AMBEROLA 50 REPRODUCER

Post by Pete Stratford »

A friend of mine bought an Amberola 50 with a broken reproducer. The pot metal had swollen up and the extension tube that slides into the small horn opening has snapped off. Does anyone make a repair kit for this? Any Ideas?

Thanks
Pete
Attachments
IMG_1112.JPG
IMG_1111.JPG

Victor VI

Re: HELP WITH AMBEROLA 50 REPRODUCER

Post by 52089 »

The swollen pot metal can be sanded down with emery paper. Do a little and check it, repeating as required, until the fit is snug.

You can probably salvage a tube from a parts reproducer, but I'm not sure how to reattach it.

You may find more info of you search the board. I'm sure others have had similar issues.

I should also add that this is a very common reproducer, so you may want to consider just buying a replacement.

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Post by kirtley2012 »

I would recommend getting a new reproducer body, a repair would be possible to get it working, but if part of the reproducer has already started swelling and breaking, then the rest of the reproducer might follow, so likely easier to go for a new body

edisonclassm
Victor II

Post by edisonclassm »

The swollen pot metal should be removed on a lathe re-establishing the proper size for the carriage. The tube can be made on a lathe and then inserted using a very light press fit once the hole is bored to size. If you are not able to do this yourself then seek out a qualified machinist. Using sandpaper or a file can impart irreversible damage.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Those reproducers are not too hard to find. I'd just find a complete replacement.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Maybe, but one day all the cheap spare parts will be gone, so it will be nice to repair them while we can get them.

SousaBand
Victor Jr

Post by SousaBand »

I'd send this to Dwayne Wyatt at Wyatt's Musical Americana. He inserts a brass tube the exact dimensions and character. I've had him do this about 20 times and never one failure!

Dan

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Thank you Dan for the great idea.