Columbia Type N question

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
BretB
Victor Jr

Columbia Type N question

Post by BretB »

I have been watching this forum for quite a while and finally registered in order to ask a question. I have a Columbia Type N, serial number 42609. Would someone please tell me whether this is a 'Washington' or a New York. The case was virtually rotted beyond help and the decal non-existent. Once I have a good idea as to which of the two cities, I'll be on the look out for the correct case, less the lid.

Thank you for your consideration,
Bret

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Columbia Type N question

Post by phonogfp »

I've never seen a Type N Graphophone with a New York decal (but I'd like to!). In any event, I've owned a couple of Type Ns with higher serial numbers that had Washington decals.

Good luck finding a Type N cabinet. Maybe someone on this forum can help you. Try placing an ad in the "Yankee Trader" section.

George P.

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

The switch from Washington to NY happened partway into production of the later Type A Graphophone. That model can be found with one or the other. I can't imagine any original Type N having a NY decal since they were made earlier than the A.

BretB
Victor Jr

Post by BretB »

Thank you for the information. I'll post an entry under the correct category and maybe I can scare one up.

Bret

Phonofolks
Victor I

Post by Phonofolks »

There was a Graphophone AN that was made with the "A" upper works and the "N" motor. I think some of the ANs have a Washington DC decal.

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

The AN had a cabinet that was finished to a higher level than either the N or the A. There were a few more decorative touches, and the finish was done to a higher level, in 'antique oak' rather than just orange shellac. It was still a long way from Columbia's later, very decorative cases, but it was also a definite step up from the earlier cabinets.

MarkELynch
Victor II

Post by MarkELynch »

Hi Bret,

The model N is a great machine and about the last really affordable example of an early model.

The Columbia cylinder machines were thoroughly researched by Howard Hazelcorn many years ago and are available in published form here. http://mulhollandpress.com/styled-5/sty ... index.html

As Rene and others have said, the decal change from Washington to NY happened later during the model A series. Yours has raised letters on the top works and a decal stating Washington DC.

Good luck on your cabinet search, you may get lucky.

Here are a few photos of model N number 45600
Attachments
9525E27D-86C7-4146-9566-A88CD5F6CF90.jpeg
9525E27D-86C7-4146-9566-A88CD5F6CF90.jpeg (74.28 KiB) Viewed 920 times
4A081979-9279-4A2D-8E5D-3076050B2C9C.jpeg
10A65744-5A0C-4CB4-A3E1-569B7190CE0F.jpeg
18AAB5AF-075A-46F9-AF3A-2828E9E8B951.jpeg

BretB
Victor Jr

Post by BretB »

Thank you everyone for the responses. I do have a copy of the Hazelcorn book and it's very informative. I realize my hunt for a case may be optimistic but, I'll keep searching. Maybe one day...

Bret