Sonora reproducer rebuild

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
stetam
Victor II

Sonora reproducer rebuild

Post by stetam »

Looking to do my first rebuild of a Sonora reproducer. Since I see no way of main body disassembly am I correct assuming the front diaphragm gasket is just fitted after I replace the rear gasket and mica?

Steve

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Re: Sonora reproducer rebuild

Post by audiophile102 »

It would be helpful if you could post photos of your reproducer. Sonora made different models.
Here is a link which might be helpful. http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... f=2&t=5886
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

stetam
Victor II

Post by stetam »

After looking at it again it seems a front load is the only way I could be done. I guess I was just concerned on how tight a seal it would be as the front tubing just pealed right out.

Steve

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Don't worry to much about that. If you choose the right size of rubber gasket, the pressure doesn't need to be more than the quantity needed for airtightness, and no more. The mica diaphragms can sound beautiful this way. A too tight diaphragm removes the bass and makes it sound tinny, very intense in the treble, but not warm...
Inigo

stetam
Victor II

Post by stetam »

Thank you very much!

Steve

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

Also there are rubber washers at the back connector mounting, that maybe you should replace. But be careful, as I believe I read in this forum that this issue is kind of tricky, several parts at the soundbox neck that must be carefully noted down in the original position, to be able to replace them just the same, or the soundbox angle wouldn't be right. This soundbox has a revolver function to play laterals and verticals, and if things are not properly reassembled, it won't go well... Maybe some kind soul can come in here, if you remember which post it was dealing with this problem... Or you can do a search for Sonora to try to locate this issue with the back connection remounting...
Inigo

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

Just found it! (Indeed a celebration, for a search for Sonora gave... 212 pages of results!!! :shock:
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... ra#p241985
This is the topic about the back connection rubber gaskets... Very tricky, but if you manage to replace them, you'll have a marvelous sounding machine!
Inigo