Pathé Actuelle Model H Brake Function

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
pellicano1
Victor II
Personal Text: The Phonograph Stop

Pathé Actuelle Model H Brake Function

Post by pellicano1 »

So I am tinkering around with the auto-brake function on my Pathé Actuelle Model H. It appears to be setup properly but doesn't function at the end of the record. I lined everything up to the final groove per instructions. Does anyone have original instructions so I can keep a copy? I remembered the process from finding it online but cannot locate them now! Also, can someone explain how it actually works? This way I may be able to troubleshoot better! Thanks!
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison

ColoradoPhonograf
Victor II

Re: Pathé Actuelle Model H Brake Function

Post by ColoradoPhonograf »

Here is an original sheet that came with my machine:
15711935475094999219476822518621.jpg
15711933747366600792009911040346.jpg

pellicano1
Victor II

Post by pellicano1 »

ColoradoPhonograf wrote:Here is an original sheet that came with my machine:
15711935475094999219476822518621.jpg
15711933747366600792009911040346.jpg
Thank you so much!!
Thomas A. Edison

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

If my memory serves, there is a little screw/nut that sticks out a little bit on the bottom of the turntable. When I first saw that, I removed it thinking "why is that little nut there?". So my shutoff didn't work until my tech guy told me that is part of the shutoff mechanism. Why did Pathé make such a weird shut off mechanism? I guess to avoid Victrola patents.

pellicano1
Victor II

Post by pellicano1 »

marcapra wrote:If my memory serves, there is a little screw/nut that sticks out a little bit on the bottom of the turntable. When I first saw that, I removed it thinking "why is that little nut there?". So my shutoff didn't work until my tech guy told me that is part of the shutoff mechanism. Why did Pathé make such a weird shut off mechanism? I guess to avoid Victrola patents.
I tried everything and it still doesn't function.
Thomas A. Edison

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Do you have the finger properly placed? Does the finger follow along under the rim? What happens when the finger gets to the slot. It should shut off like a bear trap. Does your turntable have the little nut sticking out of the bottom?

marcapra
Victor V

Post by marcapra »

You should also include some close up pics of your shut off mechanism so we can see if you put it together right. I put mine together upside down, so of course it didn't work.

marcapra
Victor V

Post by marcapra »

This is the only demonstration of the Actuelle shut off that I could find on Youtube. On most of the other videos, the owner has the shut off mechanism turned off, as I guess they don't know how it works either. As you can see, the finger is what holds up the mechanism until it gets to the slot. When the finger gets to the slot, which is preset before you start playing your record, the rim falls allowing the pin underneath the turntable to hit the brake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEHDzzolIIk

pellicano1
Victor II

Post by pellicano1 »

marcapra wrote:This is the only demonstration of the Actuelle shut off that I could find on Youtube. On most of the other videos, the owner has the shut off mechanism turned off, as I guess they don't know how it works either. As you can see, the finger is what holds up the mechanism until it gets to the slot. When the finger gets to the slot, which is preset before you start playing your record, the rim falls allowing the pin underneath the turntable to hit the brake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEHDzzolIIk
Thanks for the great info. I will post a video and share in a bit. thanks!!
Thomas A. Edison

pellicano1
Victor II

Post by pellicano1 »

marcapra wrote:You should also include some close up pics of your shut off mechanism so we can see if you put it together right. I put mine together upside down, so of course it didn't work.
Well thanks to you I got it working!! Success!!! Thank you so much!! HAd to tweak the trip arm a bit. Was hanging too low for the pin to hit it. Simple fix!
Video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pmQynJ ... sp=sharing
Thomas A. Edison