More from my collection: Photo

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Re: More from my collection: Photo

Post by Valecnik »

I think the big issue with condensation would come with rapid temperature and humidity change. For example, if you had records stored in plastic at 70F and 45% humidity and the temperature dropped rapidly to say 30F, the air would no longer be able to hold the same amount of water and you would get condensation. I don't think there's a problem though generally.

I recently pulled out some NOS DD records stored in the US in original sleeves and plastic for at least 13 years and looked at them, played several of them. Both records and sleeves seemed to be in perfect condition. If you are worried aobut that, the Diamond discs in sleeves fit pretty nicely in the big ziplocks. Many of mine are. About half I actually zipped several years ago so little or no moisture got in our out. Both the zipped and unzipped ones stored for 13 years in a basement were fine but zipping might give some added security. If you zipped them when you were in a high humidity environment, locking the moisture into the bag, I suppose you could have an issue.

I stumbled across this interesting paper on ideal storage conditions for various media including wax cylinders and 78s when trying to figure out optimal conditions for my wax cylinders.

Posted awhile back but here it is again.

http://www.keene.edu/library/OrangAsli/sound.pdf

As an aside, for cylinders, even wax cylinders are more tolerant than I expected although ideal conditions are temperature between ~52 and 68F and humidity of 45percent. If humidity goes above 65 percent you may start having trouble according to the article.

I'm not an expert, just telling you what i have personally observed or read about so any other thoughts, disagreement would be very welcome!

Cheers, Bruce

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Re: More from my collection: Photo

Post by Edisonfan »

I do however, have a few orignal paper sleeves for my 78's. Of course these are in plastic bags as well.

Paul