Victor Schoolhouse used to broadcast music,,,, neat pic

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Re: Victor Schoolhouse used to broadcast music,,,, neat pic

Post by Uncle Vanya »

The transmitter in the photograph is a DeForest OT-10, a little 10 watt radio phone which was designed for small vessels and amateur experimenters. The receiving apparatus to the right is an early version of the DeForest MR-6, with a detector and two steps of audio amplification in the adjacent box. The OT-10 was introduced in the autumn of 1919, but was still being advertised in early 1922. The receiver appears to date from 1920, for it uses two conventional cabinets rather than DeForesta distinctive “interpanel” construction, which was heavily promoted all through 1921 and 1922.

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

Good to know, I was wondering what those were. Sounds like you are a radio connoisseur along with phonographs. A lot of cross over there (NPI)! Cheers, Russie.

Fonotone
Victor II

Post by Fonotone »

Uncle Vanya wrote:The transmitter in the photograph is a DeForest OT-10, a little 10 watt radio phone which was designed for small vessels and amateur experimenters. The receiving apparatus to the right is an early version of the DeForest MR-6, with a detector and two steps of audio amplification in the adjacent box. The OT-10 was introduced in the autumn of 1919, but was still being advertised in early 1922. The receiver appears to date from 1920, for it uses two conventional cabinets rather than DeForesta distinctive “interpanel” construction, which was heavily promoted all through 1921 and 1922.
Not to split hairs, but the receiver is actually a T-200 tuner and a P-300 detector amplifier, which had a single step of amplification. They were sold only as separates and never combined in an interpanel set.

-- Grant
Visit TechnoGallerie -- Antique Phonographs & More

http://www.technogallerie.com

A Museum Of Science & Invention Where The Exhibits Are For Sale

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

Fonotone wrote:
Uncle Vanya wrote:The transmitter in the photograph is a DeForest OT-10, a little 10 watt radio phone which was designed for small vessels and amateur experimenters. The receiving apparatus to the right is an early version of the DeForest MR-6, with a detector and two steps of audio amplification in the adjacent box. The OT-10 was introduced in the autumn of 1919, but was still being advertised in early 1922. The receiver appears to date from 1920, for it uses two conventional cabinets rather than DeForesta distinctive “interpanel” construction, which was heavily promoted all through 1921 and 1922.
Not to split hairs, but the receiver is actually a T-200 tuner and a P-300 detector amplifier, which had a single step of amplification. They were sold only as separates and never combined in an interpanel set.

-- Grant
Thanks for the correction. I see that I can no longer rely as absolutely upon my memory as I once could. I rummaged around through my literature and only found unidentified aDvertisements with no model number. The tuner appeared to be identical to the M-6, but see where that assumption took me! I’ve never owned any DeForest stuff earlier than the interpanel era sets, and could only find surplus listings in my old QSTs which identified the tuner as “tuner of the latest style” and “Detector Amplifier”. I had remembered these being combined in an “ interpanel” set displayed by Phil Weingaeten, but of course any of that stuff is suspect, I still have one of his Wallace Detectors, which, while it is not real performs quite well with a Navy type loose coupler and a variometer. I’f I ever did come across a real one it would only be a static display.