Brunswick Double Ultona Reproducer

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
VictorVV-X
Victor II

Brunswick Double Ultona Reproducer

Post by VictorVV-X »

Hello all,
I've decided to send out my Brunswick's reproducer to have the gaskets replaced because, as good as it sounds, I think it would sound even better with them replaced. But, I have heard much about the dreaded pot metal that these are possibly made out of and I am curious if there is a way to find out if mine is pot metal, brass, or aluminum. Were they only made of pot metal or did they change to another material later on?
Everything moves fine, the detents sit properly and there are no signs of any cracks - none that I can see.

My biggest concern is that it falls apart on the person rebuilding it.

Thanks in advance.
Gerald.

phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Re: Brunswick Double Ultona Reproducer

Post by phonogal »

It should be ok if the reproducer doesn't show signs of cracking, The part that sometimes breaks on these are the rings with the 4 screws as these are thin and being pot metal, brittle and can swell making them hard to remove. These aren't too difficult to find if they are broken. There are people on this forum that rebuild reproducers and should be able to help you out. Wyatt Markus (MicaMonster)rebuilds reproducers and is listed in the links section of this forum.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Get ahold of Steve Medved. He’s currently rebuilding my Brunswick Panatrope reproducer.

Benjamin_L
Victor III
Personal Text: Honk, honk.

Post by Benjamin_L »

Wyatt Markus would be the best person to send it off to, having spare parts if it is made of pot metal.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Benjamin_L wrote:Wyatt Markus would be the best person to send it off to, having spare parts if it is made of pot metal.
Agreed, Wyatt did one for me not too long ago that I found lingering in a box of spare stuff, he did a great job with it, as usual.

Sean