A new use for trash-o-phones...

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

A new use for trash-o-phones...

Post by brianu »

apparently crap-o-phones and HDTV can be made one in the most economical of ways... luckily, this machine isn't what the owner/"technician" seems to think it is (ie., genuine).

http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/gramophone-itx-hd/

bbphonoguy
Victor III

Re: A new use for trash-o-phones...

Post by bbphonoguy »

I hate sounding stupid, but I don't even know what the heck this guy is talking about, or what he has done to his crap-o-phone. :?:

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Basically, he put his computer hardware into the crap-o-phone, so he basically has a computer that looks like a phonograph.

Personally, I think this is a rather novel use for an undesirable machine...I’ve seen all sorts of things turned into a case for a computer, but this is the first that I have seen someone use a phonograph.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

bbphonoguy
Victor III

Post by bbphonoguy »

Well, if it makes for one crap-o-phone less, then it's probably a good thing. :)

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Folks,

The bit that scares me is the "I'm now taking orders.." part. I'd hate to think he'd do this to some genuine and valuable machine for some unsuspecting schmo.

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

antiquekid3
Victor Jr

Post by antiquekid3 »

I've seen a Philco radio-phonograph (the same kind I have, in fact) that was turned into a computer, with a Mac Mini and a touch screen. I think that any kind of mutilation to an antique or a restorable collectible is taboo in my book, but I am glad to see it preserved in some way.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4WBTaz4NvY[/youtube]

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

I think that last one with the Philco is quite cool. Even though those Beam of Light turntables can give decent results the best part of those radio sets is generally the cabinetry. I have a working early radio (an Atwater Kent with a horn speaker) but I almost never turn it on because there's nothing to listen to on the AM band and the tone quality of the speaker is marginal.

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

antiquekid3 wrote:I've seen a Philco radio-phonograph (the same kind I have, in fact) that was turned into a computer, with a Mac Mini and a touch screen. I think that any kind of mutilation to an antique or a restorable collectible is taboo in my book, but I am glad to see it preserved in some way.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4WBTaz4NvY[/youtube]
Antiquekid3,

It's similar to façadism in architectural "restoration". I have mixed emotions on the subject. It's only saving grace is the preservation of the street-scape, but it also seems phony to me.

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!