Anyone going to Phil Pospychala's Bix Fest next month?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
beaumonde
Victor III

Anyone going to Phil Pospychala's Bix Fest next month?

Post by beaumonde »

At the Marriot in Racine, WI (fortunately only an hour and a half from Chicago)...

The record sales are usually pretty good, and the live bands are great (Vince Giordano will be there this year).

Here's the link:

http://www.geocities.com/bixfest/
Adam

beaumonde
Victor III

Re: Anyone going to Phil Pospychala's Bix Fest next month?

Post by beaumonde »

Well, maybe no one else from here. Just thought I'd ask. The attraction are thousands of nice 78s at mostly reasonable prices, from established dealers.
Adam

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Adam,

I definitely think that looks like an interesting event, but I doubt I am likely to attend.

If you go, though, I'd definitely be interested in seeing photographs of it, and hopefully you'll have a great time.

~ MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

beaumonde
Victor III

Post by beaumonde »

95% of attendees are from outside the immediate area, many from Europe. They tend to be more on the record-collecting end of the hobby (and jazz to boot). This event has had a very loyal following for some years. Phil was president of the IAJRC (International Assoc. of Jazz Record Collectors) at the time I first became interested in collecting jazz 78s, about 10 years ago. I came for the record sales alone for a couple of years, then last year attended for the whole weekend, for the concerts and lectures, and had a blast.

The only drawback is the rather limited choice of restaurants in the area! I'm not a big fan of Danish Kringle (a sickly sweet and fatty pastry)...
Adam