What Is This Phonograph?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Shane
Victor II

What Is This Phonograph?

Post by Shane »

I just came across this phono on the internet... can't say I've ever seen one quite like this. Interesting cabinet design.

And... it's full of vinyl LPs, all ready to be played with a steel needle!! Sounds great!!!

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Re: What Is This Phonograph?

Post by MordEth »

Shane,

Did the Craigslist listing on which you found those provide any information that might help determine what type of machine it is?

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Shane
Victor II

Post by Shane »

I didn't really want to come right out and say it was on Craigslist, just in case there were any board members who were in the process of buying this machine (I'm not interested in it, but I didn't want to step on anybody else by letting the whole board know where to find it).

At any rate, there is nothing posted on Craigslist that suggests a make or model of this machine. That's interesting to hear that it may be a UK made machine, as it is for sale in California. That also explains why I've never seen a machine locally that looks anything like this one.

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

There are several auctions in the Houston area that bring in container loads of furniture from the UK. I saw a gramophone just like that one in Richmond, TX about 2 weeks ago that was spattered w/ red paint- on the inside. I can't remember the brand name though. The lids are really thin wood, seems like close to ¼' plywood so don't feel "solid".

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Shane wrote:I didn't really want to come right out and say it was on Craigslist, just in case there were any board members who were in the process of buying this machine (I'm not interested in it, but I didn't want to step on anybody else by letting the whole board know where to find it).
Shane,

Sorry, I figured that since you hot-linked the photos it would be pretty apparent to anyone who right-clicked an image and selected ‘View Image’ where the images were posted from, even if they didn’t see a ‘Transferring information from images.craigslist.org’ status message at the bottom of their browser as the page loaded. Perhaps I’m the only person here who looks at either of those, though.

I refrained from asking you for the link, in case it was an item that you were watching for yourself (or knew someone who was).

Plus, even knowing it’s on Craigslist, without knowing where it is I think you would be very hard-pressed to find it. The image URLs do not provide any useful information for that sort of thing.
Shane wrote:At any rate, there is nothing posted on Craigslist that suggests a make or model of this machine. That's interesting to hear that it may be a UK made machine, as it is for sale in California. That also explains why I've never seen a machine locally that looks anything like this one.
I wondered if this might not be the case, but figured I’d ask if there were any hints in the listing information, to at least narrow down the search. I really haven’t had time to judge how good our members are at identifying a machine from the cabinet; I know I am terrible at it without lots of pictures and plenty of time comparing them to pictures in a book... ;)

From the (albeit small and blurry) photos, it looks like a nice machine. Hopefully it will find a good home.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Shane
Victor II

Post by Shane »

Hey, no problem. I think we had a situation another phonograph board where somebody posted a craigslist ad, and someone who wanted to buy the machine got beaten to it as a result of that posting. I just didn't want to take the chance of stepping on anybody, that's all. :)

There seem to be a few interesting machines popping up in my area lately... unfortunately I don't have room for any of them! Yesterday, I was salivating at an electric motor Credenza that was behind the counter at a local thrift store... they want $595 for it. Wish I had the room!!

Victor78
Victor I

Post by Victor78 »

Nice looking cabinet :D Sure looks like it could be in the same family as the small upright that I found a few weeks back. It's to bad they didnt have a closer picture of the turntable area, would have like to see the tone arm and the reproducer as I have had no luck finding anything, that looks like it could have gone on mine. Thanks for posting the pics though!