[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
View topic - MOCAPS meeting, 8 February, 2009 • The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MOCAPS meeting, 8 February, 2009
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:42 am 
Victor IV
While I know that took quite a few more pictures than I did (and no doubt better ones—I never claim to be any good with a camera; my skills are only with manipulating images in ), here are a few images to tide you over until he posts a video of his photographs.

These images are of items that brought to the meeting and graciously gave me permission to photograph. I plan on cutting out both the cylinder box and the fiber needle cutter.

He also featured a few Columbia machines, although sadly I should have taken notes as to which were whose (or what they were). Here is a very interesting Columbia disc phonograph that he generously shared with us:

I will be posting more photos that I took later today (as I need to duck out in a few minutes), but I cannot thank and enough for inviting me to attend, or for taking the time to educate me on a number of things, including the origin of his user name.

and his wife were excellent hosts, and I was glad to get to meet her, in addition to all of the other people who attended the meeting.

Stay tuned for more images.

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, and since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit .

Post subject: Re: MOCAPS meeting, 8 February, 2009
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:44 pm 
Victor IV
Very nice images Dave. I bet that was an excteing day.

Paul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:31 pm 
Victor III
Folks,

It was a superb day and I want to thank Bill and Wendy for opening up their home to us as well as putting on a magnificent spread! Good friends, good food & good music! ;)

Regards,
John

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:01 am 
Victor IV
Here are 5 more photographs from the meeting; I had photographed this machine primarily for , as he is quite enamored with the giant horns...

Regrettably, I could not tell you the model of the Columbia cylinder machine, and I do not remember whose machine it was, but the horn was definitely stunning to see in person.

’s Amberola 1-A (which can also be seen as his avatar) appears in the second photo, as well as , which was the first phonograph I cut out specifically for use on a forum.

Stay tuned for more!

Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using for all of your IT consulting needs.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:45 am 
Victor VI
I have heard a well restored (ala Paul Baker) Columbia BC with large horn like that in a large exibitiion hall at the Union Illinois phonograph show some years back. It DID make your ears bleed. As I recall he did not get to play it much because as soon as he started it up a few people started complaining. To me it was great.
Visit , an . Also, visit and on .

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:12 am 
Victor IV

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:29 am 
Victor VI
Hi David,

Here are a couple of the best books on Columbia, really excellent.

First one at this link:

http://www.crunruh.com/product/0960646655?meta=FRG

Second one entitled:
Columbia Phonograph Companion, Vol. II
By: Robert W. Baumbach
Published by Stationary X-Press
ISBN 0-9606466-2-4, hardcover

Both are available at various points on the web, like eBAY.
Visit , an . Also, visit and on .

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:22 pm 
Victor II
The first phonograph shown in this thread is a Columbia Model AH Graphophone (2nd Style) from 1905. It has a black and brass bell horn and a Columbia Analyzing Reproducer. I found out after I purchased it on ebay, that the Horn, reproducer and horn elbow were actually from a Talk-o-phone. So after some negotiations with the seller, who never disclosed these facts in his auction, I received a fair credit amount, sufficient to buy a Columbia Analyzing reproducer which was correct for this Graphophone. I Kept the Talk-O-Phone horn which does look very nice with this machine. I still have the
Talk-O-phone reproducer, in case some day I happen across a Talk-O-Phone at a bargain price which needs one.

Last edited by solophoneman on Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:41 pm 
Victor II
It was a great time with seldom seen Columbia machines! Many thanks to all the members that made the effort to bring these fantastic Graphophones.

:clover:
Check with your dealer for !

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:02 pm 
Victor IV
Here are a few more photos from the meeting, of a pair of Columbia phonographs shared with us by .

The first machine is a Columbia AB, called ‘the Macdonald’ (which is rare because only 150 survive according to Howard Hazelcorn, the author and expert on Columbia phonographs), and it is pictured with the adapter to play Concert cylinders.

And the second is a Columbia Q ‘the second style’ nickeled horn, with a repro cast-nickel plated base. These reproduction bases were produced by Aaron Cramer.

The machine in the background is the Columbia Model AH Graphophone (2nd Style), which was the first machine pictured in this thread. Regrettably, I do not remember which machine was hiding under the table.

Information on the above cylinder machines was provided by , who knows far more about these machines than I do. I have a few more photos (I should have taken more) that I will try to get up soon.

Thanks again to for having me at this meeting.