price tags in all the wrong places...

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

price tags in all the wrong places...

Post by Valecnik »

Just listening to some records and getting very frustrated by sellers having stuck price tags on the surface of the record itself, on original 80+ year old record sleeves, machines too, original horns with near perfect paint and a stuck on price tag you struggle to get off. :x

Tinkerbell
Victor III

Re: price tags in all the wrong places...

Post by Tinkerbell »

I feel your pain... not with price tags per se, but with finding a record label's very first catalog recording in E+ condition, only to have the seller wrap it in a newspaper and stick it in a box with no protection. It arrived snapped in half. A record that can never be recovered. :evil:

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

Price tags have been a pain at times when I check records. Sadly, several labels have been damaged with price tags placed on them. My favorite way to buy is to look at a box of sleeved records and the price on the box containing the records or near it on a separate card shows the amount. A white tag with a string is a suggestion for phonographs, parts, and other items.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

You can carefully with patience and time remove price tags from labels using usually just a teeny bit of water or goo-gone on the sticker. Soak it and use a fingernail to slowly scrape it away. With a little practice and time, you can usually get the sticker off without damaging the label. Took me a few tries, but it can be done. With stickers stuck on the record or grooves themselves, again, goo-gone. I once was given a couple of boxes of unsold discs from an estate sale that all had masking tape stuck right in the grooves of each record. Goo-gone and a lot of time got rid of the ones worth saving.

Some sellers really are clueless! :roll:

Sean

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Naptha works well. Lighter fluid is the same stuff, but with oils added and may discolor or stain paper. Well-ventilated area, etc.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

Karrion
Victor Jr

Post by Karrion »

What Is the safest way to get stuff on a record? I've got a bunch with bits of the paper sleeves stuck to them.

Karrion

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Soap and water (avoid soaking the label) should revove paper bits if you gently scrub the disc with the grooves, but if you want to properly clean a 78, I'd suggest checking out this thread:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... f=2&t=4532

Sean

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

JohnM wrote:Naptha works well. Lighter fluid is the same stuff, but with oils added and may discolor or stain paper. Well-ventilated area, etc.
I'll second that. I use Naptha to remove all adheasive from stickers and tape. The right stuff for the job.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I especially hate it when antique dealers writes the price on the label in marking pen. It's there to stay & looks shocking. They wouldn't write the price on their furniture with a chisel, so why deface a record permanently :evil: