Info Needed for a 1-B...... I mean a 1-A oooops!!!!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gramophone78
Victor VI

Info Needed for a 1-B...... I mean a 1-A oooops!!!!

Post by gramophone78 »

A man I know was just given a 1-B with "L" reproducer.It is a mahogany case with a maroon mech.He needs the following parts for it.The motor board,horn complete,pegs for the drawers.I think this stuff is being made.Not being strong on Edison I need to ask all of you.The case (with hoof feet) and mech are nice and well worth putting the missing parts.Thanks in advance from him.He has the two piece back grills.Just the board the mech mounts to is gone.
Last edited by gramophone78 on Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Info Needed for a 1-B

Post by Jerry B. »

I wish I could help with the needed parts but have nothing you need. The drawers for the 1B (and all but the very early 1A's) have metal clips that hold the record boxes. Scott Corbett had clips for sale years ago but may still have some. Good luck with your project. The big Amberolas are elegant machines. Jerry Blais

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Jerry,I will let him know.I think he will be hard pressed to find the whole horn.I have never heard of a repro being made.It was great that he was given the machine and the case and mech are in great shape.I think the "hoof" foot is not very common.However,not being up on these I could be wrong.The original owners booklet is still inside.
I would like to add something at this time.I just found an early (leather) record brush for Edison.This brush is for disc records but,I think it's before DD records.Therefore,what is up with this???.Edison's image is even on it!!!????.I will try to post some pics of the Amberola.
Edison record Brush.JPG

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

gramophone78 wrote:A man I know was just given a 1-B with "L" reproducer.It is a mahogany case with a maroon mech.He needs the following parts for it.The motor board,horn complete,pegs for the drawers.I think this stuff is being made.Not being strong on Edison I need to ask all of you.The case (with hoof feet) and mech are nice and well worth putting the missing parts.Thanks in advance from him.He has the two piece back grills.Just the board the mech mounts to is gone.
Gram78, A lucky guy your friend is! An Amberola 1B with "hoof feet" is quite odd? would you be able to tell us the SN on the mechanism and on the cabinet? A picture of the SN plate would also be very interesting.

He's not missing any "motor board". The case should have some cast iron fixtures that the motor and bedplate drop right into. It could be that they are there but he does not realise it. Ask him to look very closely. Facing the machine, the works being held at a 45 degree angle slides into those mountings on the right, then pivots downward and rests horizontally on the mounts located on the left side.

Regarding parts, I might be able to help with a horn elbow if he's looking in a few months. I think I have one back in MN.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

When I read about the missing "motor board" is suspected that the wood grill or trim around the mechanism was missing. Is this true? If so, it should be easy to replace or reproduce. Jerry

gramophone78
Victor VI

Re: Info Needed for a 1-B..... SORRY!!!!....it is a 1-A

Post by gramophone78 »

I think your right Jerry.It seems that the wood trim on the right side is gone.It looks simple.I will ask him to check the cabinet again to see if it is there.The previous owner put (loose) a Brunswick horn unit into the cabinet.Lucky they did not change or damage the cabinet but,just sat it in there.So,the horn will be the part needed.I think he can live without "clips" in the drawers.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Ok,Ok,I know I'm going to get "ribbed" on this......Steve,would you like to start?????? :oops: :roll:.Most of you know I'm just not an Edison collector.I just discovered I can't read either :shock:.The machine in question is NOT a 1-B.It is a 1-A.The horn elbow part (if it fits a 1-A ) would be of interest to him.I take it the horn is made from mache??? or something like that??.I will be getting pics soon from him.Ok,let the "ribbing" begin!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: .

JohnM
Victor V

Re: Info Needed for a 1-B...... I mean a 1-A oooops!!!!

Post by JohnM »

The horn is made from woven jute fiber, soaked in rabbit hide glue, gessoed, and then grain painted. There are two metal stiffener strips at top and bottom, but the horn is only secured to the cabinet by the bottom strip. The horn is self-supporting. The back of the horn has the same collar as fitted to a cygnet horn. The horn throat is of a different shape than a cygnet, though, and has a knurled and threaded collar that fits to the reproducer stanchion. This elbow would be difficult to find, but I have found them in the past. The horn could be laid up over a mold and fabricated.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

gramophone78 wrote:Ok,Ok,I know I'm going to get "ribbed" on this......Steve,would you like to start?????? :oops: :roll:.Most of you know I'm just not an Edison collector.I just discovered I can't read either :shock:.The machine in question is NOT a 1-B.It is a 1-A.The horn elbow part (if it fits a 1-A ) would be of interest to him.I take it the horn is made from mache??? or something like that??.I will be getting pics soon from him.Ok,let the "ribbing" begin!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: .
Mine actually comes off a 1A and is mahogany. At one time I took pictures of it contemplating selling it but I don't think I ever did. Can't find the pics either of course but I'll look more. :monkey:

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

gramophone78 wrote:I would like to add something at this time.I just found an early (leather) record brush for Edison.This brush is for disc records but,I think it's before DD records.Therefore,what is up with this???.Edison's image is even on it!!!????.I will try to post some pics of the Amberola.
Edison record Brush.JPG
I'm not sure what company or companies produced dusters like this, but they are rather generic and are found with hundreds of different logos imprinted on the tops. While this style of duster may pre-date the introduction of Diamond Discs in 1912, it is a fairly safe bet that your duster was made during the time Diamond Discs were being produced.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan