“Edison Spring Lubricant”

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Radio Ron
Victor Jr

“Edison Spring Lubricant”

Post by Radio Ron »

I've heard the manual on servicing the Edison disk
motor and see references to using “Edison Spring Lubricant”.
Since I doubt I can find any “Edison Spring Lubricant”,
what's the best modern substitution for this?

AZ*
Victor IV

Re: “Edison Spring Lubricant”

Post by AZ* »

There are many varied opinions on this. Edison's original formula was made from Vaseline and flake graphite. There are better, more modern lubricants available now compared to 100 years ago.

An experienced restorer wrote a short article in the most recent "In the Groove," and he recommended white lithium grease.

I've used various wheel bearing greases over the years, and machines I lubed 20 years ago are still running fine with no "bumps and thumps."

My current spring lubricant of choice is Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease. It's red and slippery.

The main things to keep in mind: The grease should be fairly slippery so the springs won't stick together. Very thin greases and oils are not very good as they tend to leak out of the barrel and make a mess inside the case.
Best regards ... AZ*

BwanaJoe
Victor II

Post by BwanaJoe »

So here is quick question. 7 years on from the original post, is the information here still spot on? Either mix my own with vasoline and graphite (10/1), lithium or use the Mobile Red?

How much grease? I've read one full tube per barrel but how much grease is that?

I have a C19 that will give the occasional thump when winding down. Lubed and oiled everything else but I've never touched the springs. I don't really want to rip out the motor board and send it out just yet. Thoughts and thanks.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

BwanaJoe wrote:So here is quick question. 7 years on from the original post, is the information here still spot on? Either mix my own with vasoline and graphite (10/1), lithium or use the Mobile Red?

How much grease? I've read one full tube per barrel but how much grease is that?

I have a C19 that will give the occasional thump when winding down. Lubed and oiled everything else but I've never touched the springs. I don't really want to rip out the motor board and send it out just yet. Thoughts and thanks.
Have you tried adding lubricant through the port holes on the spring barrels?

Bill

BwanaJoe
Victor II

Post by BwanaJoe »

No, not yet. That was the plan but I'm not sure what nor how much to add.

BwanaJoe
Victor II

Post by BwanaJoe »

So guys, any suggestions on how much "grease" to use in each barrel? White lithium or the Mobil?

need4art
Victor II
Personal Text: A man is not a man who does not make the world a better place

Post by need4art »

I'm a Mobil 1 grease guy as well 8 machines over 3 years and no mess and they are working great.
Abe

BwanaJoe
Victor II

Post by BwanaJoe »

Thanks Abe. How much do you add?

need4art
Victor II
Personal Text: A man is not a man who does not make the world a better place

Post by need4art »

I do something that is a bit different than most but something that was recommended by APS past present Dan Reed. I use a 1 ½" brush and apply grease on the spring as I wind it into the barrel. That way I think the grease is more evenly applied. I then just add a good sized teaspoon full to the center of the barrel. That has worked very well for me. It is really tough to do that with Edison DD machine springs, and I have gotten my wife to brush it on as I work the spring. I won't tell you what I have to do to pay her back-but its something to do with housework....If I ever let go of the spring its going to take both of us out!!!
Abe

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Post by edisonphonoworks »

I use Mobile 1 synthetic grease, and I also add a little planter graphite, too, I use 1 tablespoon full of grease, in most non Diamond Disc barrels. I also make sure I coat the very outside of the barrel, the bottom, and the lid, with a thin coating of this mixture.