“Edison Spring Lubricant”

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
BwanaJoe
Victor II

Re: “Edison Spring Lubricant”

Post by BwanaJoe »

Thanks guys. I’ll inject Mobile grease and graphite from a syringe through the plug holes and wind it up/run it out a few times.

ChazBoudoir
Victor Jr

Post by ChazBoudoir »

I have a C150 Sheridan and trying open the plug hole in the spring barrel. How do you do that? It almost looks like a flat head type screw but it is so thin and can't see trying to use anything without messing up the thin slot on the top of the screw or is there another way??

Marty Bufalini
Victor II

Post by Marty Bufalini »

Ron, this has nothing to do with your post, but, I just looked at your homestead page. What a great place to just sit and visit, relax, etc.

Remmotors
Victor O

Post by Remmotors »

Mobil 1 grease is a molybdenum based grease. Molybdenum is planar, on the molecular level. Graphite is spherical on the molecular level. Planes slide over each other easier than spheres slide over each other. Molybdenum is slipperier than graphite. Mobil 1 grease is therefore better than graphite, especially if the graphite is mixed with Vaseline which hardens with age. The best way to properly grease a spring is to remove it from the spring barrel, clean the spring and barrel then grease the spring as you put it back in place.