Columbia AQ & AP Decal Placement

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
columbia1spring
Victor II
Personal Text: When cycling, an overpass is not considered a mountain!

Columbia AQ & AP Decal Placement

Post by columbia1spring »

Hello!
On the Columbia AQ or AP, would anyone have clear and precise pictures where the decals are placed on either of these machines? The decal sheet shows 16 “dots” and I haven’t been able to locate any information where they belong.
Thank You!

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Re: Columbia AQ & AP Decal Placement

Post by ChuckA »

columbia1spring wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:14 am Hello!
On the Columbia AQ or AP, would anyone have clear and precise pictures where the decals are placed on either of these machines? The decal sheet shows 16 “dots” and I haven’t been able to locate any information where they belong.
Thank You!
I looked at my AQ & AP machines and don't see any place there are any "dots" on the base. Just the Columbia square, border lines and corner decorations that are three "grass" strokes.

Chuck

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

Here is the decal sheet from phonodecal.com that shows the dots. I'm also unsure how they should be used.
ap.jpg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Can't Gregg Cline tell you?

columbia1spring
Victor II

JerryVan wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:10 pm Can't Gregg Cline tell you?
Yes, I am 100% positive he could, after all I got the decals from him.
I was hoping for some pictures as a guide as well.

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

columbia1spring wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:52 pm Yes, I am 100% positive he could, after all I got the decals from him.
I was hoping for some pictures as a guide as well.
Here are pictures of AQ base
IMG_0626.jpg
IMG_0627.jpg

Chuck

zonophpones7
Victor I

Post by zonophpones7 »

Thanks Chuck for posting those pics... Sorry I hadn't responded sooner...I just found this topic. I just sent an email directly to columbia1spring. Regarding the Dots... I see where this is confusing. Since the original striping was done by hand, the dots are intended to be applied over a corner where the lines meet to simulate how a paint brush would leave a bit thicker area when starting or stopping. It is to make it look more painted on. I have decided to change them to a short line that looks like a painted end instead as this is confusing. This is what I typically have in other striping sets and that is more intuitive. Honestly, It has been some time since I sold one of these sets and forgot they were this way.. It will be updated before any more are sent out.
Gregg

columbia1spring
Victor II

I spoke with Gregg Cline and here is an exact quote as to the dots on the decal sheet

“Regarding your question about the Dots. Since the original striping was done by hand, the dots are to be applied over a corner where the lines meet to simulate how a paint brush would leave a bit thicker area when starting or stopping. It is to make it look more painted on. I think I will change them to a short line that looks like a painted end instead as this is confusing. “

Thank to Gregg for this clarification!