Edison CYLINDER frankenphone? Amberola DX w/external horn!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonophan79
Victor IV

Edison CYLINDER frankenphone? Amberola DX w/external horn!

Post by phonophan79 »

Check this out on the 'bay...

The seller is calling this an Edison Amberola DX but this has obviously been changed into a frankenphone. Looks like it would work tho?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0340552023

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: Edison CYLINDER frankenphone? Amberola DX w/external horn!

Post by estott »

Someone merged an Amberola mechanism with the works of a US Machine- and appears to have done a good job of it. If I had it I'd probably keep it as is, would not be easy to find the US parts to reconstruct it, and you're right- it would probably work and sound very good too.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

I saw this one too. It looks like a home horn has been sawed off and fitted into the elbow too. Actually the guy did not do a bad job. This one probably could sound good as you guys say and has a pretty good motor as compared to a crapophone!

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

That’s definitely an interesting frankenphone.

Certainly, they were very thorough about photographing it. Think it’s worth the $135.00 current bid?

— MordEth

[hr][/hr]
To quote the article for posterity...
eBay Item #320340552023

Edison Amberola DX Cylinder Phonograph w/ Horn Speaker

An Edison Amberola DX Cylinder Phonograph Record Player and Horn Speaker. Serial number 27632. Phonograph works. Refinished oak cabinet is 17-¼" wide x 13-¼" high x 10-¼" deep. Phonograph cabinet does not match this unit and has been modified to accept this player. Missing one corner piece. Horn speaker is 21" across x 21" long and in very good condition. Crank is homemade. Buyer to pay postage.

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

I'd say it's worth it, if it plays well. The parts haven't been to violently altered- looks like the top board isn't the original and was just sawn from an old piece of oak. You'd be getting a US lower case and lid, back bracket and arm, and a horn that might be modified. If you happened to have a US mechanism needing those things then it's good value. As it stands it's interesting, not unattractive, and at least it's being offered honestly.