Serial # N/A
Year(s) Made: 1923
Original Cost: $100
Case/Cabinet Size: Height: 34" Width: 35.5" Depth: 20"
Turntable/Mandrel: 12"
Reproducer/Sound-Box: Columbia #6
Motor: 3 spring motor without the automatic stop
Horn Dimensions: internal
Reproduction Parts: One of the door knobs and the lower 4 of the 6 little square moldings on the front are incorrect, temporary replacements.
Current Value: ?
Interesting Facts: I found this machine in one of these "shabby chique" antique stores, where they have the nasty habit of white washing every old piece of furniture they can find. Fortunately I was able to buy it before they got to it, so I only had to remove a million of little white paint splatters. :x Both motor and tone arm were frozen, but could be released with WD40 and Liquid Wrench. Some Kotton Cleanser, Protective Wood Feeder and elbow grease and it was good as new. Still need to clean and re-grease the 3 spring motor at some point, but so far it is running great without bumps etc.

It took me a long time of research until I found any information about this machine. Finally I found an article in the March 17, 1923 issue of The Talking Machine Trade journal. This Grafonola Console Model 239 was announced in early 1923 by the Columbia Graphophone Co., just a few months before they went bancrupt in late 1923. After Columbia re-emerged as the new Columbia Phonograph Co. they re-introduced the Model 239 with slightly changed features. My 1923 model had the "old" Columbia Grafonola decal on the inside and had 2 regular doors which covered the horn and the record storage. The later 1924- models had the new Columbia decal and disappearing drop panel doors as pictured on page 209 in the Columbia Phonograph Companion Vol.II. So this early Grafonola Model 239 has only been manufactured for a few months in 1923. Not sure how many of it were made and how many still survive, especially in this great shape.

Favorite Characteristics: Very nice and elegant little console, which unobtrusively fits into the design of a contemporary room. Nevertheless, the sound and volume of this little console is pretty amazing.
Attachments
1923 announcement.jpg
1923 announcement.jpg (151.63 KiB) Viewed 5487 times
Grafonola 239-4.JPG
P1010738.jpg
P1010735.jpg
P1010730.jpg
P1010729.jpg
Grafonola 239-3.JPG
Grafonola 239-2.JPG
Grafonola 239-1.JPG
Last edited by alang on Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Re: Featured Phonograph № 67

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

It is a fine looking phonograph! Thanks for sharing photos of it.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Thanks. I know that consoles are not being held in high regard by collectors, but the fact that it fits right in makes approval by my wife a lot easier. :D
Andreas

bob27556
Victor I

Post by bob27556 »

Nice cleanly designed cabinet. I also like the way the motor mount is hinged. Will it release from the machine by pulling it towards the front?

alang
VTLA

Post by alang »

bob27556 wrote:Nice cleanly designed cabinet. I also like the way the motor mount is hinged. Will it release from the machine by pulling it towards the front?
Thanks. Yes, the motor mount slides right off the hinges if you pull it towards the front. I also like that the whole motor board is one metal piece, so you can clean it without taking it apart. Columbia really had some clever design, if it wasn't for the pot metal issues I'd probably specialize on Columbia machines.
Andreas

antique1973
Victor IV
Personal Text: Victor Z, Victrola 4-3

Post by antique1973 »

That's a nice looking Columbia! Thanks for posting Andreas!

Andersun
Victor III

Post by Andersun »

Thanks for posting the Columbia, 2 questions:

1. What is the funnel looking duhicky on the bottom of the springs?
2. Was the tone arm pot metal?

Thanks!
Steve

alang
VTLA

Post by alang »

Thanks for the nice comments.

BTW: what is the best way to reproduce these little square moldings at the front? What do you use for the form and what material do you use to mold? Would wood paste or wood filler work or do you have to use acrylic or something?
Thanks
Andreas

Shane
Victor II

Post by Shane »

Nice looking machine... it looks like you did a great job on it!

I'm reading over the journal article describing the machine. What the heck is a "3-spring A.C. motor"???

Never thought about hooking up a power cord to a spring driven motor, but the idea sounds intriguing. :mrgreen:

I am likewise curious about that funnel shaped thing on the motor. Never seen that before!

Edisone
Victor IV

Post by Edisone »

I assume the 'funnel' guides the crank to its socket.