Featured Phonograph № 68

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Featured Phonograph № 68

Post by Jerry B. »

Thanks for sharing your machine with us. It's wonderful! We don't often have the opportunity to see such a terrific machine in the states. Jerry Blais

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

Kirkwood wrote:Did DGAG supply albums for the records, as Victor did for the Victrola? It almost looks like the compartments either side of the speaker would hold one (slender) album each.
DGAG offered albums in three sizes, but only as an extra: 7" and 10" size was red, 12" size blue colored. The album design was registered. While 7" and 10" albums held 12 records each, the 12" size was configured for only 6 records. Hence it is perhaps possible to place two 12" albums each to the left and to the right of the speaker. These albums are pretty scarce and it will take a while to verify my guess.

There is an interesting story behind these albums. In December 1902, a certain Richard Bürgi of Pasing near Munich filed for registered design on a gramophone record album. Deutsche Grammophon quickly reacted and bought the registered design of another record album, filed for in January 1903 by a certain Hugo Fritzsche of Leipzig-Gohlis.

From the beginning, DGAG was extremely agile and always in the lead on the central European disc talking machine market, either by own efforts or by financial strength.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

This is a beautiful machine! Thank you so much for sharing. I am always surprised how modern the furniture design was in the early 1900s in Europe. And what a difference to the Victrola design.
Thanks again!
Andreas

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

While the "De Lux" was the most spectacular in house model, Deutsche Grammophon AG stepped on the gas with a number of unique inside(!!) horn Auxetophones listed in a special 48-pages Auxeto catalogue issued in April 1908. I like the "Auxeto Grand I" (with a hefty catalogue price of $700) most - it displays mainly "Jugendstil" elements with marked traces of "Reformstil". I don't dream to ever lay my hands on one - but this also applied for the "De Lux".

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Beautiful machine! Thanks for posting. Alot of similarities with the VTLA. The triple spring motor must be uncommon too. Seems even the most expensive European models often had one less spring in many cases. The soundbox clip is very unusual too. I assume that's the way it came?

Where and how did you come across such a machine?

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

Valecnik wrote:Alot of similarities with the VTLA.
Yes, certainly, and the VTLA is a nice piece of furniture too. At least on three sides. The back of the VTLA just offered on ebay as the "finest" Victor phonograph is knocked up like a fruit box. Where has the mahagony veneer gone? Is this $200 machine a negative anomaly in the model range?
http://cgi.ebay.com/FINEST-VICTOR-PHONO ... 255e32e754

The triple spring motor must be uncommon too. Seems even the most expensive European models often had one less spring in many cases. The soundbox clip is very unusual too. I assume that's the way it came?

Where and how did you come across such a machine?
The Gramophone Co. equipped all models with 12" turntable with a triple spring motor. I bought the uncommon "sound box clip", also manufactured by the Gramophone Co., separately but at the same time. It simplifies the handling of the Exhibition soundbox very much. It is pictured with original packing on page 165 of "Accessories & Contraptions".

The purchase history is little glorious: As nobody recognized the beauty and the historical value of the "De Lux" it remained unsold for quite some time until I got it for a reasonable price.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Isn't it great that one can still sometimes pick up an incredibly rare and beautiful machine at a reasonable price just because is does not have a horn???

antique1973
Victor IV
Personal Text: Victor Z, Victrola 4-3

Post by antique1973 »

Awesome machine Starkton! The interior reminds me a bit of my L-door's compartments.
Thanks for posting, never seen a model like this before.

frenchmarky
Victor I

Post by frenchmarky »

Is that soundbox 'clip' intended to be left on during use, or only for when it is being removed and installed? Wonder how much the clip adds to the weight of the box, if the former.

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

frenchmarky wrote:Is that soundbox 'clip' intended to be left on during use, or only for when it is being removed and installed? Wonder how much the clip adds to the weight of the box, if the former.
It sits firmly on the soundbox but as the clip is very light it adds only about 5% to the weight. The big advantage is that I can now safely and quickly place the needle near the very start of the groove. As you know the steel needle needs a few turns to grind in the groove profile and the more run-in groove, the better. The clip also facilitates the lifting of the soundbox after play.