Featured Phonograph № 68

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Re: Featured Phonograph № 68

Post by Valecnik »

Starkton wrote:While the "De Lux" was the most spectacular in house model, Deutsche Grammophon AG stepped on the gas with a number of unique inside(!!) horn Auxetophones listed in a special 48-pages Auxeto catalogue issued in April 1908. I like the "Auxeto Grand I" (with a hefty catalogue price of $700) most - it displays mainly "Jugendstil" elements with marked traces of "Reformstil". I don't dream to ever lay my hands on one - but this also applied for the "De Lux".

Starkton, might you have additional images from these early Deutsche Grammophon catalogues you could post.

Have you ever seen a "De Lux"? Do they exist?

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

That machine is gorgeous. The jugendstil inlays are marvelous!
Jim

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

Here are two more Deutsche Grammophon models of April 1908. The open horn "Auxetophon" in oak and the monstrous "Auxeto Grand II" in black water oak, height 83" with a net weight of 430 pound! Shipping weight was 925 pound.

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

These machines are fascinating. I dug through some back issues of The Talking Machine Review and came up with a couple of images of two of the HMV Auxetophones sold in the UK. In view of the number of models offered,it would seem that the Auxetophone was much more popular in Europe than on this side of the Atlantic; it was a European invention, after all. The internal horn machine is unlike anything sold in North America, although I think I remember reading that Victor was contemplating such a machine, although I could be dreaming. The cost of these machines was astronomical. The internal horn version here would have sold for $625.

Jim
Attachments
IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0002.jpg