Dealer sticker

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Dealer sticker

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

Dealer stickers on cylinder boxes seem to be the latest fetish and so here's one I just found. The green of the sticker matches the "Amberola" green of the box.
Jim
Attachments
DSC03949.JPG
DSC03947.JPG
DSC03943.JPG

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Dealer sticker

Post by Jerry B. »

I can't remember where I've seen it, but I saw a sticker on a cylinder that advertised Victor products as well as other brands.

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Re: Dealer sticker

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

Victor and Edison had a sort of entente cordiale with many dealers offering both lines until Edison introduced the Diamond Disc and things went off the rails. In the first years of the century dealers often carried several lines, but around 1908 or so Edison got touchy with it's dealers and demanded that they carry the Edison cylinder line ONLY. This was a marketing mistake, if you ask me, in that it reduced the market for the cylinder business in general, but one suspects that one of the reasons was the fact that Columbia and U S Everlasting had introduced a celluloid cylinder at a time when Edison was introducing the rather fragile wax Amberols. But ...and the plot thickens....some dealers got away with handling both Victor and Edison AFTER the introduction of the diamond disc. Take a gander at this page from the Edison Phonograph Monthly from September 1915 . It shows the spiffy store of the R S Williams branch in Hamilton , Ontario. In the left foreground...all highlighted is a B 250 Diamond Disc, but if you enlarge this and look at the murky machine on the RIGHT,you will see a Victrola XVI, so obviously some dealers were more equal than others. The framed pic is a photo of Tetrazzini as Lakme . She was never an Edison artist. This is doubly strange since Berliner in Canada was even more rabid in enforcing exclusivity than was Victor in the States. Not only that but RS Williams were the Edison JOBBERS for Ontario. Very curious.

Jim
Attachments
IMG_0002.jpg