Berliner restoration

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Henri Laforge
Victor Jr

Re: Berliner restoration

Post by Henri Laforge »

Good Morning,

Now I understand why gramophoneshane and saxymojo do not understand me. Mr. MordEth helped to explain. But they wish to win an argument or not admit they did not know the difference in Australia. No problem with me. Nobody including me is 100% expert.

My English maybe is not completely correct, but a Canada Berliner is not valued like a US Berliner, they are different manufacturing, different time, different number of manchines manufactured. Like comparing two completely different companies using same name. They were different companies using Emile Berliner's name.

First, see the logo ID Montreal. Period, no more argument on where it was made.
Second, that machine is a collection of parts, even saxymojo understood.
Third, some of those collection of parts are not authentic, but fakes, that makes the machine not original, some experts would say it is fake or I think crapohone, but not all pieces are crap, some are real? All this confusion is why this have diminished value. Not sure what you are buying.

gramophoneshane, the price difference between the two companies is easily 10 times high for a real Trademark Berliner. There is no "ball park" figure, that is like asking for "ball park" figure difference between original pieces Nipper art produced by Barraud under the Victor name (he painted many copies of the original EMI version) and the many painted copies. Art dealer would say, oh this man does not really understand the difference, he should not ask such a question, but he is still learning. Ok. Many of these painted copies have legal Victor or other company license but are not as valued as high. Still desirable, but I cannot hang on my wall and say that is an original Nipper. You cannot say your machine is an original Berliner, it is a Canada Berliner, no comparison. Nice piece of history but no comparison.

Thank you, have a nice day. That is the best I can do.

saxymojo
Victor II

Re: Berliner restoration

Post by saxymojo »

Hi Henri
You can be assured in Australia we do know the difference and are not out to win an argument. I would like to have a Trade mark machine, preferably made in England. I am well aware of the value of the original Trade mark machine and am willing to pay the price, I just have not been able to find one for sale yet.
I hope it is just your poor use of english (which you admit too) that makes your messages sound offensive and your intentions are not to belittle Australian collectors.

Regards Marcel