Featured Phonograph № 71 - Victor Victrola 8-35

Post by OrthoSean »

Maker: Victor Talking Machine Company
Model: Victor Victrola 8-35
Serial: 5514
Year: 1928
Original Cost: $300
Case/Cabinet size: 38 ½ H x 40 W x 20 ¼ D
Horn Dimensions: Not sure...it's the Victor metal ortho horn used in this, the 8-9 and 10-35 as well.
Repro Parts: None
Current Value Mint: $1000-1500 at best in today's market (with albums)

Interesting Facts: This machine turned up locally on eBay a couple of weeks ago and I've always wanted one of this model. After paying perhaps a bit more than I wanted to, I went to pick it up to discover that not only was everything there (albeit FILTHY), but there were bonuses, including a later RCA Victor ortho replacement reproducer that had never even been used. I still haven't tried it yet, but the isolator is a soft as can be....

The machine originally belonged to a steam ship captain with the last name of Perry who lived near Catskill NY and operated a ship that ran from there to NYC and New Jersey frequently. He seems to have bought most of his records in Hoboken, NJ and Brooklyn judging by the dealer stamps on all the record sleeves. It came with well over 500 orthophonic Victors and Viva Tonal Columbias contemporary to the machine, many in German. Lots of record catalogs were in the drawer as were needle packs and tins as well. This was a machine that was something he was very proud of and certainly used and loved! I'm proud to have it now.
Attachments
Full frontal with albums
Full frontal with albums
Side view
Side view
Doors open
Doors open
Top after lots of cleaning
Top after lots of cleaning
Player compartment
Player compartment
needle drawer
needle drawer
Goodies
Goodies

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Re: Featured Phonograph № 71 - Victor Victrola 8-35

Post by HisMastersVoice »

That machine cleaned up very nicely. It makes me even more excited to get my 8-35 next month!

Swing Band Heaven
Victor III

Post by Swing Band Heaven »

That one cleaned up really well - it is amazing what a difference it has made. The machine looks mint now. Bet that was a great surprise finding all those bonus items with it as well. What a great find and one thats a keeper for sure!
S-B-H

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Well, it has a few "battle wounds" from living, but it cleaned up great. I'm really happy with it. Sounds great, too! 8-)

Sean

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

Nice, Sean! I eventually want to trade my Credenza for an 8-35... to me they are more eye pleasing, especially when they have all those nice original record books.

Thanks for sharing.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Very nice, Sean. 8-35s have a look (and arguably a sound) all their own. Of all the machines I've sold over the years, letting go of a nice 8-35 with all the original albums is one that I kind of regret. I wish I had more space...but we all wish that, don't we? ;)

The example I had was equipped with an electric motor, and the little light came on when the lid was opened. Played very well, too - - different from a Credenza, but pleasing.

Congratulations, and enjoy - -

George P.

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

All I can add: WOW!
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

transformingArt
Victor I
Personal Text: Veritas Est Bonus Amicus Mea!

Post by transformingArt »

What a great find! Thanks for sharing this beauty!

Kirkwood
Victor II

Post by Kirkwood »

Sean, thanks for the wonderful pics of this great machine. I had been "watching" this one on eBay, and wondered what all was lurking in those boxes with the records. This Victrola is one to be proud of----glad that you got it. Wonder how it would sound with that later version of the Orthophonic reproducer? Also, wonder how a given record sounds played on the Credenza versus the 8-35, and what the sonic differences would be.

Here's a question for the collectors amongst us: when you get a machine that's estate-fresh, like Sean's here---do you keep the paperwork goodies with it, or sell them off or display them elsewhere? I have an elderly collector friend who keeps ALL of the records, needle envelopes and tins and paperwork goodies with the machine, just as he got it. Says it's all part of that machine's history, to be kept intact. So far, I've only ever done that with one machine (my L-door XVI Victrola was so complete, and so nice, even with the original bill of sale, it seemed only right to keep it all together). It's a small point, but I've been curious about it.

frenchmarky
Victor I

Post by frenchmarky »

Whoo that is a pretty machine, wonder how that extra reproducer sounds, and what the bearings look like in it given that it's been squirreled away in there all these decades. Maybe it just needs a couple of drops of oil and away she goes. Let us know how that soundbox turns out.