Post by gramophoneshane »

Place your bets ladies & gentleman!
How far will this disc go?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0327964905

phonophan79
Victor IV

Re: 20" Pathé disc

Post by phonophan79 »

Neat! How many people have the machine that would play this disc? ..or are people just buying to own a 20" record?

Amberola 1-A
Victor II

Post by Amberola 1-A »

Several of those were brought to an earlier MOCAPS meeting by a friend of one of the members. Unfortunately, we had no way of playing it!!

:clover:
Check with your dealer for the latest Edison Records!

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

I could play it but it's already too pricey for me, especially with the postage on top!

And no matter how rare the record might be, the material on it is just plain dull and unexciting as far as I'm concerned.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

It appears to be pretty well worn too. Although I couldn't play it, I'd probably buy it for the price it is now as a novelty, but I think it will be going quite a bit higher yet.

PhonoJack
Victor Jr

Post by PhonoJack »

Interesting Pathé record. I wonder how many may have been ruined by someone thinking they were early 20 inch lateral cut records. I offered solophoneman to use a special large format (tanscription records) 16rpm lateral player. Glad he knew better. Yikes!

PhonoJack

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

You can find machines that will play these large discs in Europe fairly easily, any of the Pathé Concert series, I think the "Concert Automatique" not Pathé but designed to play Pathé discs. Perhaps even something like a Pathéphone no. 14 or 12 would play them but I'm not sure. These machines are expensive though. I'm guessing $2,000 and up. Richard or someone else following this string from Europe would be able to comment more accurately. I live here but I'm mostly an Edison guy.

I also agree that the material on this one does not appear too exciting. Still though it would be cool to have one. I'm sure it's very heavy so use a big hook if you plan ot hang it on your wall.

Calle
Victor O

Post by Calle »

Yes, you're right a Pathéphone No. 12 (and upwards numbers) can play 20" / 50 CM Pathé-records; really nice decorated machines (I owe one myself...)

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

HI Calle,

Don't know if you saw the pics of my Pathéphone no.12 in the string, "How many Phonographs are in your living room?"

Here it is:
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... e&start=20

Actually I do not think mine is strong enough to play a 20" disc. Also I think the reproducer could be louder, (even though I had it rebuilt). Any suggestions on who in Europe is really good at motor and reproducer work on such a machine?

Cheers, Bruce

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

An Automatique Concert Francaise will NOT play a 20" Pathé disc through. It's not that the motor can't handle it; the automatique can play 6 Pathé discs through on a single winding, the problem is the timer! Because they are coin operated, they work on the duration of a standard disc and cut off at a preset time, so the motor can play it but the timer won't allow it. I never figured that one out!
Last edited by Steve on Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.