Standard Talking Machine Model E

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Ole Canal Antiques
Victor Jr

Re: Standard Talking Machine Model E

Post by Ole Canal Antiques »

Hey guys, i can buy a Model A, any chance you guys can help me with how much i should spend?

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Post by De Soto Frank »

One caution about the valuation of of the Standard ( and other "odd-spindle" machines ): their primary value would be to the fairly intense collector, not so much to the average person who "wants an old crank-up record player to play granny's records on"... because of the fact that these machines will (usually) play only the records that were made for it, due to the spindle size.

That said, there are "odd spindle" machines such as the "Aretino" ( 3 inch spindle) that are probably more "valuable" than their Victor / Columbia / Edison contemporaries, but their appeal is more limited. And the records are much, much rarer, and more expensive. And probably less-rewarding to listen to in terms of their content.

It is not too difficult to find or make-up adapter bushings to play "odd-spindle" records (hole larger than ¼") on a conventional ¼" spindle machine, but it really doesn't work the other way around. (Kind of like playing a 45 single on a regular LP turntable, but you can't play anything but a 45 on the little dedicated 45 players from the 1950's)

The household Victrola when I was growing-up in the 1970's had come with about 100 records, including some "Standard Disc Records", with the ½" spindle hole, and a fairly plain label with a white "window" at the bottom where the title of the selection was typed ( as in, typewriter ), such as "Old Kentucky Home, Solo Baritone"... no names. There were also a number of Victor and Columbia discs whose center-hole had been crudely enlarged, apparently to play on someone's Standard Disc Talking Machine...

Ole Canal, your internal-horn Standard looks very nice, and the decal is in terrific condition. $200 sounds like fair territory for such a machine. An external horn version might hit the $400-$500 territory...

Unless you're a die-hard Standard enthusiast, be careful how much you shell-out for one...

Fabrizio & Paul's "The Phonograph: An Illustrated Compendium" has a good chapter on the Chicago and Odd-Spindle Machines.
De Soto Frank

Ole Canal Antiques
Victor Jr

Post by Ole Canal Antiques »

Thank you very much! On my way to the auction now!

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Post by De Soto Frank »

As fate would have it, my wife and I were out antiquing yesterday, and at the antique co-op, was a a glass display counter with a Standard Model A, with a red horn ( in what appeared to be similar condition as Ole Canal's model E ), and an Edison "banner label" Home right next to it.

Both machines were priced at $1200 (each). :shock:

I expect to see them there for years to come. :|
De Soto Frank