Identifying Upright Silvertone Model and finding parts

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
PapasSong
Victor Jr

Identifying Upright Silvertone Model and finding parts

Post by PapasSong »

I have my grandfather's upright Silvertone phonograph, and am hoping to identify the model in order to to determine if I am missing an arm component.
I do not see any markings or tags that would indicate the year or model.
The only marking I found was on the back of the reproducer, which reads: PATENTED JUNE 17 - 19.
I would love to play my Papa's records again, so any information or guidance would be greatly appreciated!
Please see additional photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/deannaspivey/sets/7

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: Identifying Upright Silvertone Model and finding parts

Post by estott »

Your arm is complete. To play regular 78's put the reproducer on the arm as it is. The attachment with the S-shaped bend is for playing vertical-cut discs like Edison and early Pathé records- you'd remove the end of the arm that is in there now and substitute the attachment so the reproducer faces forward. There should be a little holder some place to store the attachment along with the jewel tipped needles for vertical discs.

You've got a very nice looking machine- Silvertones were well built and the buyer got good value for their money.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

In case you need it, there's an online Silvertone Owner's Manual on this page:

http://www.nipperhead.com/old/silver01.htm

The one you have is similar to the model K, but the grill is different.

You can actually spot quite a number of Silvertone phonograph ads using Google Book Search -- http://books.google.com/ -- for

Silvertone Convertible Tonearm

OR

Sears Silvertone Phonograph

Covah
Victor II

Post by Covah »

I wish someone with access to old Sears catalogs would put together a list of machines and their dates for Silvertone owners.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Covah wrote:I wish someone with access to old Sears catalogs would put together a list of machines and their dates for Silvertone owners.
I was thinking the same just the other day.
If they could reproduce all the phonograph related pages from each catalogue in chronological order, it would be a fantastic reference for collectors.
No doubt other areas of the catalogues like the gun section, tools, musical instrument, & jewelery etc would be quite useful as a chronological compilation to collectors of those items too.
The only book of this type that is current available is dolls & teddy bears of the 20's & 30's, but whether this has every page of each section reproduced from every catalogue within a specific range of years I dont know.
According to the Sears Archives site, a few libraries carry copies on microfilm, but what years are available aren't listed, and whether they all carry the same years or they vary from library to library, it doesn't say either.
A number of catalogue reprints from between 1920 & 1930 are also available, but at around $40 each, it seems a bit expensive if you're only interested in the phonograph section, which in the 1902 reprint is only 4 pages (and I dont think it's complete?).

http://www.searsarchives.com/catalogs/q ... talogs.htm

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Someone on Yahoo Phonolist did put together a Silvertone list from old catalogs & offered to make copies. I forget who, but maybe an inquiry there could bring results.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

estott wrote:Someone on Yahoo Phonolist did put together a Silvertone list from old catalogs & offered to make copies. I forget who, but maybe an inquiry there could bring results.
IIRC it was Wayne Holznagel who made up a free CD of Silvertone-related ephemera scans. I don't have his contact information in my address book, unfortunately.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

Wayne is one of the guys you meet thru this hobby that makes you really grateful you are interested in phonographs. I went to an auction years back in S. Dakota and as part of the trip picked up an Amberola III I bought from him. I planned on grabbing a cheap motel room but when he learned that I hadn't made arrangements yet, he insisted that I stay with him and his family for the night. It was a great visit and I've been appreciative ever since. He is a MAPS member and I'm sure he'll help out if he can and if this contact info is still correct.

http://www.michiganantiquephonographsoc ... ber.html#H

Steve