Victor 6

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Josh_boro20
Victor I
Personal Text: Vintage sound

Re: Victor 6

Post by Josh_boro20 »

Couldn’t the elbow be gold plated? I believe it to be the same part just nickel and not gold. Is the extension original or just a fix? I still have the metal piece that separated. It just doesn’t correct. It should be one piece of long metal?

Josh_boro20
Victor I

Post by Josh_boro20 »

Roaring20s wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:56 am Adding to the motor conversation, my motor matches the one in this post.
The number is 5092.

IMG_0511.JPG
Me and you have the same motor, and both are marked a 6. I just need the bumpers?

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Josh_boro20 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:46 pm Does the spindle remove easily?
The early motors have a simple spindle because the gear is not part of the spindle. It is critical that the spring are completely slack, otherwise you can injure yourself and ruin the gears. To remove the spindle, be sure that the springs are not applying any force, clean and oil the shaft below the gear, back the two set screws off and slide the spindle out. It may be a bit stubborn because the set screws can displace a little material.

I have attached a picture of the ball bearing setup. Also, the pin that holds the ratchet gear in place is a straight 3/32” steel pin, (.09375”). They are typically a slip fit into the hole and the pin has a small, displaced crimp near the center to provide an interference fit.
Attachments
CC4BB017-9C94-4A07-B741-165F07F3AA87.jpeg
CC4BB017-9C94-4A07-B741-165F07F3AA87.jpeg (17.3 KiB) Viewed 381 times

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

I just want to note that Josh's motor and mine are the same, in that they do not have the holes in the casting for the ball bearing set-up.
Screen Shot 2022-12-11 at 11.11.51 AM.png

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

I understand that these twe motors never had the ball bearings. If “Look for the Dog” is correct, then both of these motors probably came from Pooley VTLAs. If Josh’s motor board lacks holes for bumpers, then it probably didn’t start out with that motor. If I was fortunate enough to own a Victor 6, I wouldn’t sweat that detail.

The nut in the top of the spindle can be reproduced with a counter bored extension like the one on a VV-XVI D, or a short sleeve can be added over the short cylindrical end of the spindle the prevent the turntable from “yielding “. I would prefer this to adding bumpers, (and holes). The risk of bending the spindle seems pretty low, but would need to be considered. The later motors had a .375” diameter spindle rather than the .3125”. The Victor D has a 12” cast turntable and a .3125” spindle like the Pooley and the 6, but had no ball bearing race or yielding turntable and seems to do fine.

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

These motors and the terms that go along with them have alway been a source of confusion to me. :coffee:

Josh_boro20
Victor I

Post by Josh_boro20 »

Those bumpers on the motor board screw in? If I have no holes in the wood nor evidence of it ever having bumpers. Would that mean it came with a yielding turntable?

Josh_boro20
Victor I

Post by Josh_boro20 »

If I had the horn elbow gold plated would that make it correct? It’s the same part just gold instead of nickel?

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Yes. It’s the same part.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Are you 100% certain you don't have the holes from bumpers??? Zooming in on these spots kind of shows holes to me. The holes that we're referring to are tiny nail holes, made by small tacks that stick out of the backside of the bumpers. They would be easy to miss, and maybe easy to have been filled in during a refinish. Look very closely.
Screenshot 2022-12-11 144921.png