Horn used for recording in the thirties?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Henry
Victor V

Re: Horn used for recording in the thirties?

Post by Henry »

scullylathe wrote:If the horn just had the 'Monumental Pictures' logo on it she could be Lina Lamont singing to Debbie Reynolds dubbed by Betty Noyes :lol: "'N I cean't steannim!" No no Miss Lamont, round tones, round tones...
I believe Miss Lamont (brilliantly played by Jean Hagen) also says, "'N' I cahn't steannim," which makes even funnier the point that she's totally unsuited to "talkies" (her awful speaking/singing voice and "tin ear") and can't learn how to fix it.
Ortho_Fan wrote: (That's from the days when movies still had songs worthy of winning an Academy Award.)
...and from the days when there were movies worthy, etc., etc.

Chuck
Victor III
Personal Text: Richards Laboratories http://www.richardslaboratories.com producing high quality cylinder blanks

Post by Chuck »

Last edited by Chuck on Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrphonograph
Victor I

Post by mrphonograph »

well chuck the laugh box is the same apparatus as seen in 1960-70s talking dolls
the laugh box was introduced as a novelty toy in the 1950s the 1950s version had a pull-string mechanism and was concealed in a red or green velvet bag i've seen adds but i never encountered the actual thing
the laugh box most of us remember was a battery powered device in a bag with a clown face
it was produced from about 1965 to 1989 from that time on it was a chip that did the laughing and the size is quite a bit smaller than the earlyer version the chip version is still beeing made
laughingbox.jpg
laughingbox.jpg (43.58 KiB) Viewed 638 times
laugh-bags.jpg
laugh-bags.jpg (34.44 KiB) Viewed 638 times
the chip version of today
the chip version of today
laughing bag.jpg (9.88 KiB) Viewed 638 times

greetings
tino

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Hey... as things gramophonic, I've also been collecting these small devices and their little records for years. Specially during the nineties I came across several of those toy record players, and I managed to assemble a collection of fifteen records.
I started with my own laughing bag. I've day I dismantled it just to discover that little charming battery powered acoustic gramophone. First experiment was to turn the record and see what was in the other side, and it was baby crying...! From that I continued, and even acquired the famous toy victrola by Poynter Toys, which I bought from a lady in Florida through eBay. The records played by that machine are smaller, hill and dale. This is a true toy gramophone with its sound box which has a Celluloid diaphragm, arranged as in a Pathé machine. It is charming...!
maxresdefault.jpg
Inigo