Pathé Actuelle

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Pathé Actuelle

Post by brianu »

Pathé actuelle, with that great diffusor set-up... these were intended to play Pathé discs, but will also play edison diamond discs (with a diamond-tipped needle) quite well... this finish also is a weathered oak, I think.

richardh

Re: Pathé Actuelle

Post by richardh »

These ar an interesting variation on using a horn to amplify sound. How do these compare to a horn model of the period? I wounder...do you get a rounded sound from these? or is it more on the shrill side? Very interesting set up and a very nice looking machine.

RJ 8-)

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

Somehow Brian managed to get this and that VV-X into his car for one trip at the MME. ;-)

Yeah, this is a beautiful machine. I was jealous to see in in person. ;-)

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

phonophan79 wrote:Somehow Brian managed to get this and that VV-X into his car for one trip at the MME. ;-)

no, no, no... you see, that probably would have worked a lot better, instead it was the spider leg X and sean's (is he on this board???) L-door... that was ridiculous... I was literally pressed against the steering wheel for two hours.

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

brianu wrote:
phonophan79 wrote:Somehow Brian managed to get this and that VV-X into his car for one trip at the MME. ;-)

no, no, no... you see, that probably would have worked a lot better, instead it was the spider leg X and sean's (is he on this board???) L-door... that was ridiculous... I was literally pressed against the steering wheel for two hours.
Oh that's right, got it backwards! Still, I'm sure a lot of us have stories of "dangerous-vehicle-phonograph transportation" stories. ;-)

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

phonophan79 wrote:
brianu wrote:

Oh that's right, got it backwards! Still, I'm sure a lot of us have stories of "dangerous-vehicle-phonograph transportation" stories. ;-)
Yea, now I have two Actuelles. Going to make one "good" one (this weekend, actu"elle"ly haha) from the parts and cabinets of the two.

To answer you Richard, they sound rather impressive, very loud and bright, but a bit shallow on the bass end, which is good for playing verticals. They also have the most unusual automatic stop setup I've ever seen on any machine.

Sean

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Brian,

Amazing machine. I hope to get to hear one in person some day. have you noticed a difference in tone depending on the humidity?

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!