Edison Standard help... please :-)

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonophan79
Victor IV

Edison Standard help... please :-)

Post by phonophan79 »

Hey Guys -

I'm going crazy trying to connect my motor to my top works. I ordered a belt from eBay, you see them auctioned all the time, the leather straps... but I can't for the life of me get it to be the correct length? The motor cranks and spins, but as soon as I put on the belt nothing will move at all.

Any tips? Am I missing something?

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Re: Edison Standard help... please :-)

Post by Brad »

Dean,

You may have the belt too tight, or the top works are binding some way. One common proble is the belt is too loose and it slips when the reproducer is lowered onto the record.

There should be an idler wheel on a short arm with a spring that should take up any slack in the belt.

You should check to make sure the belt is routed correctly and the idler wheel is taking up the slack. If it is, perhaps the spring is too short/too strong.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

Aaron
Victor II

Post by Aaron »

I had the same problem with my first belt replacement too...drove me insane (and i still am) :lol:

Along with the advice already given also make sure the adjustment screw at the end of the mandrel isnt too tight/too loose. there should be a screw on the end gate that when you tighten it it will push the little pin into to mandrels end more. Although it may not seem like it this really does make a difference. it helps to center the mandrel in it bearing (all this applies if your standard is an end gate model).

Hope you figure it out (and dont end up like me).

Aaron

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Did you ever get this sorted out? If not, I think we have a few Edison experts who could help you, and hopefully they’ll offer advice.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.