Don Gfell Educational Center Milan OH fundraiser

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Garret
Victor IV

Re: Don Gfell Educational Center Milan OH fundraiser

Post by Garret »

Raphael,

If I may, have you tried approaching collectors individually? What about a matching donation fundraiser? Having once worked in the non-profit world before going back to school, I've seen that general appeals often only go so far.

Sincerely,

Garret

JimN
Victor I

Post by JimN »

George, you say the APS has 1060 members, and the dues only cover half of the operating costs? Since the dues are $40, this implies that the operating cost is about $80,000. I had no idea! How is the APS not bankrupt?

Jim Nichol

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

JimN wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:32 am George, you say the APS has 1060 members, and the dues only cover half of the operating costs? Since the dues are $40, this implies that the operating cost is about $80,000. I had no idea! How is the APS not bankrupt?

Jim Nichol
Jim, much of that shortfall in the past has been made good by various generous donors. To be frank, without donations, the APS would have folded long ago. Over the past three years, expenses have jumped significantly. Launching a new Midwest show and a new website has been very expensive (especially the much-expanded, highly secure new website). Hurricane Hillary made the California show a financial disaster for the organization this year. Dues have been kept very low for a long time - too low in my opinion - but as you note, they have been raised to $40 in the US for 2024. This will help, but not enough. The APS Board is pursuing possibilities of grants, which you'll see mentioned in the December issue, and grant-writers are being solicited. In short, costs in the short-term have taken a jump without a corresponding increase in revenue. The APS Board is taking steps - and will take whatever steps are necessary - to remedy that imbalance.

George P.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

At the risk of sounding critical, everyone is asking for donations without specifically stating what "exactly" they will be used for... The Don Gfell "educational center" is basically a re-working of the existing museum building - opening a wall, moving the bathroom and placing the office on the existing porch - not adding an additional wing. How much is the town of Milan, OH contributing, since they are the prime beneficiary of added tourism?

Again, this is not a criticism of anything related to Don Gfell. Don was a knowledgeable collector, like a lot of us, but to say he was influential to all of us is an unfounded assumption. How about Charley Hummel, do we build shrines to every major collector? As far as TAE goes, he already has several "shrines". Maybe one of the Edison non-profit foundations, like the Edison Innovation Foundation should chip in - $100,000. is a drop in the bucket for them.

Here is the initial press release:
Published on
August 11, 2023
For Immediate Release‍

Contact: Robert Wheeler, Birthplace President, director@tomedison.org

On the 100th anniversary of Thomas Edison’s last trip to his hometown of Milan, Ohio on August 11, 1923, the Edison Birthplace Museum is thrilled to announce plans for a major addition to his humble birthplace with a kick-off capital fundraising campaign to bring the Don Gfell Education Center to life.

If you consider removing a wall partition and re-locating a bathroom to be a "major addition" then I guess this qualifies - see attached plan:

Screenshot 2023-10-20 at 9.19.06 AM.png
"All checks can be made out to Edison Birthplace Association."

Making out checks like this does not indicate that your donation willl be used for anything related to Don.

Now that I've said it, I expect the hate mail to start...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Curt,

I appreciate seeing some of the "background" info on this project. Whether or not it's a "major" addition is a subjective thing I suppose. If I were adding on to my home to the tune of $100K I would call it a major addition! I have no doubt however, that the changes depicted are budgeted at $100K for a reason. Architect fees, contractor's fees (carpenters, plumbers, electricians, drywall installers), inspections, creation of new displays, etc. Easy to spend $100K these days... (too easy :shock: ).

I will reiterate that I wish the project well.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

I wish it well, also...
BUT I'm naturally skeptical for a reason... With all of the money flowing for various "good causes", I would think that Milan, OH wouldn't have too much trouble getting a grant for that relatively small amount.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

How sad that you would post such negativity in the midst of a modest fund drive. Those of us here who loved Don take nothing away from Charley Hummel or anybody else’s legacy, but the focus of this thread is to help make the museum project a success. Your nitpicking of the details run contrary to the spirit of the man.

Raphael

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

Just to clarify: I am not being negative - just inquisitive. Not every collector appreciates the legacy of Thomas Edison, myself included - I don't like Tom or his business practices. Also, every fund raising event needs to be investigated and not doing so, is naive.

I liked Don - he was a great guy and helped a lot of collectors. I'm not nitpicking anything about Don, but don't choose to support fund raising for Milan, OH. They are already benefitting by Don's contribution to their museum, so they should kick in to make it happen. I also don't like the attempt to be guilted into donating the price of a cup of coffee or a beer. I don't drink either, so that ultimately determined my contribution - that's on you.

I'm also not discouraging anyone who disagrees with me from making whatever donation is appropriate or desired. Shining a little light on the project will not make it fail, just provide some insight. I'm not fan of "don't ask questions, you'll find out when (and if) it's completed".

My Wife

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

Nice of you to shine your negative focus on a positive project. And blaming me for your decision not to contribute is a great excuse.

A while back (while you were still banned from the TMF) I tried to raise a few bucks for Paul Baker, who at the time was on his deathbed. Some members here complained that that this was not the place and they didn't want to be "subjected" to such requests. Well, Paul survived in spite of these people who were affronted and is back at work. And now we know a bit more about the people around us.

Raphael

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

The reason I was "banned" was because of you - that's why I gave you credit for my contribution.

This may well be a positive project. If it is, it can stand up to scrutiny. Apparently in your world scrutiny is negativity... So, if you are asked for money, don''t ask what it's for or what it will be used for, or you risk being negative...

My Wife